Discuss Class 1 Earth Continuity for PAT test. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

When performing an earth continuity test on class 1 appliances can you get away with just using a 200mA current on every piece of equipment?
Having been on the 2377 course they say to use 1.5 times the fuse rating upto 26A for non IT.
Need clarification as to what is right. :confused5:

Cheers
Scarlet

a current of a few mA may not find as poor connection on a kettle, say, but a fault current could blow it away, leaving the metal casing live. that's why we use 20A.

As Tel said....if the earth is hanging on by one strand 200ma will show a good reading......pump 26a through it and it wont,it just proves the connection should be up to a fault current.

The problem with most modern hand held PATs are that the earth bond test only provides 100mA. The older 230V PATs apply the full 20 - 26A, dependent up model/make.

This is likely to be Ok where there's a possibility that damage might be done to sensitive electronic equipment, although I often wonder what damage might happen (filtering circuits exempt) when the tester should test only the exposed conductive part back to the earth pin on the plug.

You can still pick up a second hand Robin 5000 series PAT for less than £350.

Hi guys,

When performing an earth continuity test on class 1 appliances can you get away with just using a 200mA current on every piece of equipment?
Having been on the 2377 course they say to use 1.5 times the fuse rating upto 26A for non IT.
Need clarification as to what is right. :confused5:

Cheers
Scarlet

I wonder what the Code of Practice states? ......................

Have you read it? -and, if so, what do you suggest?

Reply to Class 1 Earth Continuity for PAT test. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net