Discuss CLIP ON SMART METERS in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello
I wonder if anyone could advice please.
We have only electric. We are not able to have a smart meter as there is anothe rcable required (too short or something) but EDF will not do it.

Years and years ago we used to have a smart meter thing before they were called smart meters! I used to clip a clip around one of the electric cables in teh meter box and I could see some energy use on a small smart meter as a standalone in teh living room.

I just cannot seem to find anything like this on the internet other than the odd ones that seem to be costing a fortune.

I was just wondering if you know of any or maybe under a different name that I could look into,something no deare rthat ÂŁ40

thank you

There have been a number of these products on the market, but the price tends to start around ÂŁ55. There is a Chinese product that displays power consumption in 'technical terms' of amps and watts, which is cheaper, but less user friendly.

Right now there seems to have been a run on these items, and few outlets have any in stock! If you were prepared to spend ÂŁ55, I think you will have difficulty finding one in stock!

Hi

Many thanks for your reply regarding my query.

Thanks for suggesting this device.

May I check, will it just clamp onto the main cable on teh meter box outside and then, can I have the display unit inside the house, depending how far it would communicate?

Will it then show me the increase in energy being used for example once e.g, the tumble drier is turned on or somethig else so I can see what is having a drain on my energy use? thanks

Reactions: DPG
May I check, will it just clamp onto the main cable on teh meter box outside and then, can I have the display unit inside the house, depending how far it would communicate?
Yes, the ÂŁ55 one has a 'current transformer' that you clip round one of the wires of the electricity meter, and it's attached to a little radio transmitter module (battery powered) that will live in your meter box, and that module sends messages to the display unit you put indoors. Unless you have really thick walls or live in a huge mansion, the display should hopefully get signal anywhere in the house (it says signal range 40 metres, but that may be reduced in the house). You might have to experiment with where you place the transmitter unit in the meter box to get best range.
This one:
Will it then show me the increase in energy being used for example once e.g, the tumble drier is turned on or somethig else so I can see what is having a drain on my energy use? thanks
Yes it will show your instantaneous energy use (averaged over a short period), and your total for the day, and also shows the running total cost. The various features are listed in the product details in the link above.

Reactions: DPG
Thank you very much. Do you do any discount for NHS staff or bluelight? Thanks
Sorry I'm not in any way connected with this product - just suggesting it.
I think you will have difficulty finding any outlet with stock at the moment, and hence little chance of a discount I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Reply to CLIP ON SMART METERS in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net