Discuss combined earth + neutral cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone, hope you can help. im currently installing a small submain to supply a DB which is then supplying a cctv power supply. there is a new lucy 25amp cutout in an external cabinet which has recently been installed prior to my work being carried out, when i have carried out work which involves a lucy cutout there has always been an earth block already fixed onto the side of the neutral block. The one i am working from just has concentric cable to Live and to the CEN block.
So i am asking if i require an earth rod to a new earth block, or bring an earth cable from the neutral block to an earth block? I would put a rod in myself but i just want to be 100% sure.

thanks

your neutral and earth are connected to the same terminal block within a pme cutout.
the smaller 25a lucy units dont have a seperate earth block.

What sort of overall installation are you working on?? Some sort of Highways installation??

Generally, If we are talking about a ''Submain'' from a PME/TNC-S supplied main distribution board, then you can't go making further N-E connections as you go. A PME connection is made ONCE at origin, the main distribution board should then be distributing sub-mains as TN-S, where the earth requires a separate earthing block (EMT).

What sort of overall installation are you working on?? Some sort of Highways installation??

Generally, If we are talking about a ''Submain'' from a PME/TNC-S supplied main distribution board, then you can't go making further N-E connections as you go. A PME connection is made ONCE at origin, the main distribution board should then be distributing sub-mains as TN-S, or TN which will require a TT earth at the load end of the distributed sub-main.
well...i thought it was clear about creating TN-C....

Reply to combined earth + neutral cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net