Discuss Coming in at basement level in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SparkyMarkie

Hello Everyone,

Hello to all you DIY's, Domestic Installers, and 'Fully Qualified' Electricians (2391, 2330's etc)

First off, apologies for my username 'SparkieMarkie', I'm not currently an Electrician or DI, but hey it's catchy, and Mark is my name, so what they hell.....

A bit about me: I'm currently a father of three and self employed as a photographer (portraits, babies, families etc), but in this current economic climate business is not great, in fact I'm in danger of losing my house etc. I've been a photographer for 23 years and I'm not the type of person to give up on things lightly, but the truth is that portraits are a luxury, and in these challenging times the 'luxury' items are the first things to go as people tighten their belts to pay for their bills. Therefore I'm looking to train in an area that is 'essential' for the public, and taking a long hard look at my personal skillset, electrical appears to be the way that I should concentrate my attentions.

Right, that said, I can already hear the sighs, moans, and derision of some of you. Yes I'm a career changer, yes, I will probably end up a '5 day/week wonder' and yes I will be offering myself for free in exchange for a little bit of practical experience (I've read all the threads and see both sides of the argument).

Here's my opinion like it or not: I've experienced exactly the same as you 'time served, apprenticed trained' electricians. The photography business has gone completely to pot since digital cameras became popular and affordable to the mass market, and everyone with an iphone thinks they are a photographer. 1001 websites have been set up by Joe Blogs, offering their 'professional' photographic services at a cheaper price than myself. Being a member on photographers forums, the same argument takes place over and over again: '5 day wonders/I've got a great camera' wonders that are taking our livelyhood.

I've forgotten more about photography than most of these new entrants will ever know, and yet they still have the audacity to offer their cheap 'professional' services alongside mine! Do I moan and complain about these upstarts? No. Why? Because that's the way of the world. People will always want/need to change their minds about their chosen career path.

To try and cut a long story short, here I am, this is me, and I will do the best of my ability for the customer, as I am sure will most of the other short course DI's/electricians on the forum.

I'm honestly not here to start arguments, although I'm sure I've already alienated some of the longstanding members, the truth is I respct each and every one of you whether you are 'just' a DIY'er or one of the aforementioned fully trained sparks. And to those for which the red mist has started to decend, I say: you have my sympathies, but I'm afraid it's tough luck. I retain my right to retrain and qualify to register on one of the part P schemes. You can either get on board and welcome me and the countless others or not, either way you are powerless to stop us.

As you can probably tell, I don't shy away from an argument, and am prepared to fight my corner, but only because I've already experienced exactly the same argument as some of you other much respected forum members. In that respect if you want an argument, please don't bother replying. Life is life and free will is free will.

My promises to the forum: I will always answer/post honestly. I will always do my best for my customer. I will always work to the best of my abilty. I will always respect each and every one of you, whatever your views.

This introduction has been written with the thread 'Career Change' in mind. I'm not normally this provocative, but I'm sick and tired of hearing people complaining about what others decide to do with their lives. IT'S EVERYONE'S COICE as an individual what they want to do, There is nothing I/you can do to stop it until such time as legislation is introduced.

Thanks and much respect to all.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the asylum. as a keen semi-professional photographer myself, i can see where you're at. can't even do a wedding now without all the guests with their ÂŁ50 compacts getting in your field of view. hope you succedd in your chosen career change, but it's a tough game now. too many sparks chasing too little work. customers will spend thousands on a shiny new kitchen but have apopletic fits over a few hundred to make their electrics safe.

I would imagine sparkying is much the same as photography - you just point the equipment in the right direction, push the button and go off and collect your cheque.
Stick around and we'll teach you all the trade secrets.

Welcome along and perhaps the Emmy goes to ......................... for the longest introduction ever.

Seems though to be honest your jumping out of the frying pan into the fire becasue if you think photography is over loaded wait till you see the DI market, still best of luck.

Hi & welcome.

Good luck from me as well. As they say a change is as good as a rest. I personally have no axe to grind with 5 day wonders, or anyone else for that matter.
But i can bet anyone who spent 5 days in this forum would learn more in those 5 days than on any course, such is the quality of the people who contribute.

Cheers............Howard

Good luck from me as well. As they say a change is as good as a rest. I personally have no axe to grind with 5 day wonders, or anyone else for that matter.
But i can bet anyone who spent 5 days in this forum would learn more in those 5 days than on any course, such is the quality of the people who contribute.

Cheers............Howard

Yes I have thank you :angel_smile:

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Its seems you have a great forum here with a good mix of views and personalities, and most importantly a membership with massive amounts of experience ready to guide and advise others.

Cheers............Howard

To an extent very very true so read and learn Mark, don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how trivial. We all started where you are. Good luck.

Reply to Coming in at basement level in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net