Discuss Commando plug/socket compatibility in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all complete noob here, please note I am not an electrician by any means and I use the phrase "commando plug/socket" to refer generally to the IEC 60309 type plugs and sockets :lol:

Anyway can anyone explain the difference between the P+N+E and 2P+E plugs, both are blue 240v. At work we have a lot of three phase feeds to power industrial equipment for cooling etc using the red 3P+N+E 63a plugs. However we use single phase 2P+E sockets to run all of our outdoor equipment. My questions are:

how exactly does the blue 2P+E differ from a blue P+N+E? I have a moderate understanding of three phase power. I know both types are single phase 240v either phase to phase or phase to neutral, does the 2P+E require a three phase power source since it has two power pins and no earth? Are are the two compatible, since they both come with the earth pin at 6h?

Thanks.

IEC60309-Hour-Des-12-091.gifThis chart might help you out.

TBH, I think that chart is mighty confusing to the OP!!!

If I'm understanding the OP's question correctly...... P+N+E <=> 2P+E regardless. It's just a different way of saying the same thing. Technically neutral is also a 'line' conductor, hence it counts as a (P)ole.

A 2 phase plug would also need a neutral pin, plus earth, so would therefore contains four actual pins. I would then be coloured according to voltage. For that reason, it could also be confused with a 3ph Delta plug, and if such a thing exists then I've never seen one!

what he said ^^^^^. both thew same thing. 2P + E is 2 pole + earth, not 2 phase + earth.

Ahh great telectrix thank you. I never stated that the P stood for phase, my understanding was that it stood for power. And I know 2P+E is single phase, I just wasn't sure how you achieve two power pins from single phase. Since we have a lot of three phase at work, I was wondering whether the 2P+E socket had to be provided from some part of a three phase supply or not. We run loads of standard single phase 240v equipment from the 2P+E socket and I think the standard caravan hookup is 240v P+N+E, I just wanted to know if the two were compatible and what makes 2P+E different. :)

As far as plugs and sockets are concerned, P = Pole

Reply to Commando plug/socket compatibility in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net