Discuss Conduit used for mechanical protection only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What are your thoughts using metal conduit just for mechanical protection. In the past the regs said if a short piece of metal protection was used for just mechanical protection it needn't be earthed. The reason I ask is that I've just installed 2 x 20mm lengths flush side by side for the solar electrical cables from loft to inverter / mains position.
Each length 3.75m long. That possibly not a short length. I have installed an earth wire to loft space and will earth them using clamps. Just wondered though, is it really necessary to comply with 17th? Thanks

Depends on what cable is inside them. I would have said if sheathed then no, if singles then yes. However, if you draw an example from armoured cable, it's required to earth the armour irrespective of whether it's used as a cpc or not.

What are your thoughts using metal conduit just for mechanical protection. In the past the regs said if a short piece of metal protection was used for just mechanical protection it needn't be earthed. The reason I ask is that I've just installed 2 x 20mm lengths flush side by side for the solar electrical cables from loft to inverter / mains position.
Each length 3.75m long. That possibly not a short length. I have installed an earth wire to loft space and will earth them using clamps. Just wondered though, is it really necessary to comply with 17th? Thanks
have a look at earth couplers mate, even if you have to use a nipple in future.

its looks better imho.

Any exposed conductive parts must be earthed. If it's not exposed it may not need earthing.

If it is to provide protection so you can avoid using RCD protection for cables buried less than 50mm then it must be earthed.

Depends on what cable is inside them. I would have said if sheathed then no, if singles then yes. However, if you draw an example from armoured cable, it's required to earth the armour irrespective of whether it's used as a cpc or not.

I know nothing about Solar wiring etc. The cable that will be in the conduit are those that come from the roof panels via their 2 x rotary isolation switches which are sited in the loft. The PVC sheath cable sizes are small in dia.

I know nothing about Solar wiring etc. The cable that will be in the conduit are those that come from the roof panels via their 2 x rotary isolation switches which are sited in the loft. The PVC sheath cable sizes are small in dia.
? so the inverter is downstairs?

most installs ive come across have the inverter in the loft, that way only one cable needs to go downstairs

have a look at earth couplers mate, even if you have to use a nipple in future.

its looks better imho.

Was going to use brass female bushes on conduit in loft. I did ask ay wholesalers for rubber female bushes (no jokes plz) that just slip on the end of the conduit, but they knew nothing about them. At other end the same or male bushes as coupler there already.

fit couplers and bushes to conduit. at 1 end fit banjos. then use the 6mm hole in the banjos for your earth terminal.

Are the cables going in them ac or dc? And what voltage are they? I don't know much about solar - most of the threads in the solar category confuse the bejesus out of me.

Reply to Conduit used for mechanical protection only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net