Discuss Consumer Unit Distance from Meter and Lockable Isolator in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkplug123

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum a LOT over the last few weeks for reference, but now need to ask a question of my own. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

I'm doing a flat refurbishment where the consumer unit will be inside the flat and the electrical meter outside. Someone has told me that if the consumer unit is more than 3 metres away from the electrical meter, there needs to be an isolator next to the meter.

My question is:

Is it true that I need an isolator next to the meter if the consumer unit is 3m or more away? Is it because of regs, or just good practice?

Second part of the question is:

If I do need an isolator, can anyone suggest a 63A one which is lockable in the "on" position so that nobody can switch my house off from outside without a key?

Cheers everyone!

:D

If I do need an isolator, can anyone suggest a 63A one which is lockable in the "on" position so that nobody can switch my house off from outside without a key?

Cheers everyone!

:D

Greetings Sp123,

I could probably suggest numerous ways to do the above, but..., I don't want shredding from senior forum members!

Not a good idea really to lock an isolator off in the 'ON' position.

It really comes under regulation 433.1.1 (iii). The DNO will not provide you protection of the sub main in your case as it exceeds as Tel said 3 metres.

Also look at section 434 and regulation 434.2.1 if your sub main is a different CSA to the mains.

Thank you very much Malcolm, Archy and Telectrix!

I've had a look at the section you referred to and it went straight over my head, but I think I'll take your word for it!!! :D

So the turning back to the issue of the lockable, fused isolator, the idea is that the whole flat can be shut down from the consumer unit, which is why I'd be OK to have the isolator in the communal hallway locked in the on position.

Is this a monumentally stupid idea or illegal or could Archy get away with giving me some suggestions without being shredded? :)

Well. look at it from a non regulatory side
If you did not fit the switchfuse,there would be no means of isolatiing the supply,other than the supplier fuse at that point
Now that fuse is very accessable to somebody who may one to a dirty deed,so are we then going to lock up the supplier equipment ?

The switchfuse could be located in an adaptable box that would need the security type key opener,the type which normally only sparks have use of.it would be as or more secure than the supplier fuse

Thank you all for your advice on this.

For the isolator/fuse, assuming that I have the correct amp rating, is everyone referring to something like this: http://www.*************/p/square-d-twinbreak-63a-spn-switch-disconnector-fuse/81625#

They seem pricey - does anyone know a place where I could get more economical ones?

For a housing, I was thinking of something like this: Meterboxes Direct Online Shop | Electrical Meter Box / Cabinets | Standard UK Wall Mounted Electrical Meter Box

Many thanks to all of you!

Reply to Consumer Unit Distance from Meter and Lockable Isolator in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net