Discuss Consumer unit under stairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, need some advice here if possible. Went to quote for lighting rewire at house client has recently moved into, He says next year or two that they having a loft conversion. Anyway he had some recent gas works done at the property and the gas/heating person said that as the gas meter is under the stairs, which looks like its the original position in this 1920's house, that it will need to be moved when the loft conversion is done as the stairs are main escape route. The house has ground and first floor currently.

Anyway Idk about gas regulations but got me thinking as the consumer unit is under the stairs aswell (but its at leat 150mm away from gas meter) and if when the loft extension is done would the consumer unit ned moving aswell ? As far as I know that you shouldnt put cu's under stairs in a new build, if its an older CU originally under stairs it can stay put, but what about when a loft conversion is going in ?

In theory the CU should be at an accessible height in a new build, but in a loft extension (or even a major refurb of an existing building) there is no requirement to move an existing CU that I'm aware of, either in Wiring Regulations or Building Regulations.

Having a non combustible CU supposedly resolves the only issue there might have been with CUs under stairs, which was the potential to start fires. So if it's still a plastic one it may be worth considering the upgrade, but also nothing saying you can't use an existing plastic one if it's there, as long as there is the space to add any additional required circuits.

In theory the CU should be at an accessible height in a new build, but in a loft extension (or even a major refurb of an existing building) there is no requirement to move an existing CU that I'm aware of, either in Wiring Regulations or Building Regulations.

Having a non combustible CU supposedly resolves the only issue there might have been with CUs under stairs, which was the potential to start fires. So if it's still a plastic one it may be worth considering the upgrade, but also nothing saying you can't use an existing plastic one if it's there, as long as there is the space to add any additional required circuits.
Thanks for input Dartlec, sounds reasonable, my gut feeling was also no need to move existing CU. Theres always spanner potential to be thrown in thou when building regs come up for the unaware.

If you think it is a problem just fire line the understairs cupboard with a double layer of plasterboard and make sure any joints are staggered and sealed with intumescent sealant

A consumer unit under the stairs is not dangerous otherwise putting a light under the stairs could equally be classed as dangerous...

As above the easiest / quickest piece of mind fix would be to double board the underside of the stair case if its already single boarded or use pink board or some other fire rated board

To me a big issue with under the stairs CU or meters is the sheer volume of crap that typically gets stored in there. That alone is probably a big fire contribution if the CU is badly installed.
How is that any different than loads of JBs buried under tonnes of cardboard boxes and carrier bags full of old clothes up in a loft

Pretty much every room in a messy house could be viewed as a potential fire breeding ground

Old post, I know, but I've only just seen it.
I'm not at all sure the advice given is correct. Did a large barn conversion* about 10 years ago, that was designed as two storeys, but turned out that we could make a couple of bedrooms on the third floor, and get in a staircase to them. The proposal was put to building control, and it opened up a whole world of (expensive) pain, with extensive changes for fire containment made to the two lower floors.
I the end, the bedrooms (or two quite well appointed attic storage rooms) were made, but access was left as a loft ladder and trapdoor. Whether or not staircase has now appeared, I don't know.

*The barn consisted of a few piles of old stone a flattish grassy site, where there'd been a barn about 100 years ago. Nothing over a couple of feet high, and half a mile away from any other house. I suspect that brown envelopes were involved in the original planning application

Reply to Consumer unit under stairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net