Discuss Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not clever - it's not really wise to broadcast what you charge for an EICR on a public forum. Don't worry i made the same mistake last week, and got put straight by another member and quickly edited my post :) you don't have too, im just saying that because you've got your rough location posted aswell.

But for what it's worth, i'm not that far off you. IMO, it's around the correct ballmark of what a thorough and professional EICR should cost (without wanting to open a can of worms/pointless argument again)

i was quoted 2 prices by 2 plumbers to rip out a bathroom suite and put a new one in (no time to do it myself). An older guy wanted 2 days to do it. A young guy, prob 22-23, wanted 1 day and was £130 cheaper than the reputable old head. I went with the young guy. He started at 8 in the morning, and was done by lunch. I couldn't fault his work. That was 2 years ago now and never had any problems with it (as you would expect).

Moral of the story? Old heads on here complaining about others being too cheap, tough ------- gentleman. If you value yourself greater than what the customer values you (and is willing to pay), then all the experience in the world will fill out the giro application nicely.

The usual suspects will now tarnish me a cowboy, lepar, tar, feather and stone me from the comfort of their keyboard gangster ways. So with that, i'm out.

GROUP HUG?

Missing the point smudge, the point being if we sparks discuss rates in the open here then unskilled men will be using our prices to con members of the public into using them for work and putting them in danger, once they know our costs they will under cut us and the risk to the public rises, in the pub we discuss prices, we all have varying rates, if your a spark ask the mods to contact the admin about letting you in, think about whats been mentioned and you may get our point. group hug ?

I don't think i did miss the point? I'm solely referring to people moaning about being undercut. Professional courtesy or not, its business after all. I'll pass on the pub thanks, i'm not keen on the bullying cliques that go on on here as it is. Some very clever people on here, vastly more knowledgeable than i am, but unfortunately with that seems to come a self righteous attitude that tends to gang up and slate a mans opinion (not you on this instance, i'm talking generally).

And if non-sparks are scanning this site for prices, i can do it for £600 cash in hand and a rewire of a 2 bed flat for 14 grand.

ps, i'm not in the domestic game anymore (thankfully), but just thought i'd throw in my worthless opinion :smilewinkgrin:

Nothing wrong with fair competition, just not fair on the public if an unskilled man carries out works to their properties and he gets the ideas of cost from here, we won't agree obviouly as your talking about one thing and me another, the thread has now got around to slating a mans opinion when I thought we were discussing not allowing browsers from seeing prices, the threads all over the place now haha, anyway have a good day and enjoy your weekend.

Nothing wrong with fair competition, just not fair on the public if an unskilled man carries out works to their properties and he gets the ideas of cost from here, we won't agree obviouly as your talking about one thing and me another, the thread has now got around to slating a mans opinion when I thought we were discussing not allowing browsers from seeing prices, the threads all over the place now haha, anyway have a good day and enjoy your weekend.

good point, its like a blind mans boxing bout, just swinging away! I'm going to take you up on that pub idea this morning, but more in a literal sense than a virtual one :17:

i was quoted 2 prices by 2 plumbers to rip out a bathroom suite and put a new one in (no time to do it myself). An older guy wanted 2 days to do it. A young guy, prob 22-23, wanted 1 day and was £130 cheaper than the reputable old head. I went with the young guy. He started at 8 in the morning, and was done by lunch. I couldn't fault his work. That was 2 years ago now and never had any problems with it (as you would expect).

Moral of the story? Old heads on here complaining about others being too cheap, tough ------- gentleman. If you value yourself greater than what the customer values you (and is willing to pay), then all the experience in the world will fill out the giro application nicely.

The usual suspects will now tarnish me a cowboy, lepar, tar, feather and stone me from the comfort of their keyboard gangster ways. So with that, i'm out.

GROUP HUG?

I will not brand you a cowboy - in the same way, that i didn't brand the OP a cowboy.

Right, my gripe is - which is also the reason i got so opinionated is that i personally think, along with many other members that you can't possibly do a thorough and professional EICR for £50 without being out of pocket by the end of it.

Now, if people are willing to charge peanuts it won't be long before we all start having to charge peanuts.

It is all well and good saying market forces dictate the terms,it may be true but its a very poor countrywide attitude
Eicrs are supposed to be an inspection and test for the safe continued use of an electrical installation

When those eicrs are done by big firms paying an employee a wage to do minimum 4 a day at low cost and housing associations etc willing to go along with the sham.
The possibility of the primary reason for an eicr,to ensure the safe continued use,it has no alternative other than to be a sham.a waste of time.an affront to the H+S of the customer

Whilst these bog rolls exist,competent sparks,able to carry out worthwhile eicrs,they are being squeezed out of the market by the presence of these bog roll eicrs

GROUP HUG?

Smudge i dont consider myself old, i would not know what target age you are bracketing as old. I know lots of electricians who are 22-25 bracket which i would consider as young ie 2-5 yrs experiance from serving there time. They are sole traders and they cannot compete at these silly prices.
These guys run about on domestics and commercials and industrial work and can knock spots off me in install times, and they are good at there work. For this reason alone i cannot totally agree with your comment. These guys alone have tried to drop prices to compete, but are not making enough to break even. So end up at an agency, with all hopes running a small business in tatters, not from condition reports alone but, rewires, board changes etc.

Sounds like smudge has a bit of a chip on the shoulder, I hope he gets it off during his visit to the german cruser this afteroon.

Be interesting come April 6th, when a lot of people will have to prove there competance to become QS, just been looking at the pdf doc that they propossed back in oct 12. lot of people will be dissapointed after there 5 week course. This may help stabalise the price structure for a while and make it workable, for some of us that do a lot of reports. I personally dont do many of them, but when i do i want at least enough to cover my day.

I would love that to be true but the same was said of part P at the time of introduction but I don't think it made any real difference to prices longer term.

Interesting and wholly valid comments.

How much do you charge for a 10% limited EICR with the reference of available previous certificates or reports?

I've recently had some work done at my house and was given a bill of exactly £500 (exactly). I've no idea of the cost of electrical work but this is what he did:
Does the price seem reasonable?

Work carried out on behalf of LL
Attend to corrective measures from periodic inspection:
Replace consumer unit with RCD 10 way Board
Isolate and blank 2 gang socket in kitchen next to cooker
Provide 2 gang socket under counter for appliances
Make safe old connections to water heater in bedroom cupboard
Clip 6mm cable hanging loose in conservatory
Install 10mm bonding cable to both gas and water services

Without knowing the exact details of the job seems like you got a fair price from my quick cals ........

Replace consumer unit with RCD 10 way Board (assuming he's re-testing) -- £130 mats + 4 hrs @ £25 = £230
Isolate and blank 2 gang socket in kitchen next to cooker -- 1/2 hr @ £25 = £12
Provide 2 gang socket under counter for appliances -- 1 hr @ £25 = £25
Make safe old connections to water heater in bedroom cupboard -- 1/2 hr @ £25 = £12
Clip 6mm cable hanging loose in conservatory -- minutes, time lost within other hrs
Install 10mm bonding cable to both gas and water services -- Guess £100 mats + 2 hr @ £25 = £150

Completion/provison of electrical intstallation certificates -- 1 hr @ £25 = £25 (Make sure you got these for the work!!)

Sub-total = £454

Vat @ 20% = £90

TOTAL = £544

I've recently had some work done at my house and was given a bill of exactly £500 (exactly). I've no idea of the cost of electrical work but this is what he did:
Does the price seem reasonable?

Work carried out on behalf of LL
Attend to corrective measures from periodic inspection:
Replace consumer unit with RCD 10 way Board
Isolate and blank 2 gang socket in kitchen next to cooker
Provide 2 gang socket under counter for appliances
Make safe old connections to water heater in bedroom cupboard
Clip 6mm cable hanging loose in conservatory
Install 10mm bonding cable to both gas and water services

Have you been given an EIC and LABC notification - if so that's a good price, if anything a little on the low side.

The problem is no one polices the electrical industry. I would prefer to see random checks on EICR reports by an independent body. When there is no policing then you get anarchy like we have at the moment. I would say three fake EICR reports and you should be struck off from being an electrician. It's the only way to sort this out. But I can't see it as the scheme's make money by having more members, it's not in their interests to raise quality so the EICR will remain pretty much worthless.

Reply to Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net