Search the forum,

Discuss Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken77

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the going rates where for EICR reports in London, as not sure if my pricing is realistic.

What do people charge for

1 bed and 3 bed properties?

Is it best only to charge per circuit?

I am currently trying to win some work from local estate agents and don't want to scare them off being being greedy.

Thanks

i think you will find alot of sparkies do the actual reports for silly money and then rely on the follow up remedial work to actually make a profit

there are sparks around my way charging around £60 per property so you know they are going to pull down the customers pants for the remedials!

as an example i do a 3 bed house EICR report for around £120-£140, this is for a pretty thorough report with a covering letter, quote for remedials and reg no.s next to any non-compliances i find, i still consider this cheap as you are looking at least 4 hours work plus and an hour or two for paperwork afterwards so you have to round it off as a day, but tell a customer its £100+ and you wont win many, especially off a estate agent!

I have never charged per circuit so cant comment on that really

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! That's me having to rethink my pricing strategy then. I was thinking closer to £180 for a 3 bed. Real shame that value of work not appreciated and estate agents go bargain basement. The last PIR I reviewed (undertaken by another Spark) was for a 1 bed flat, with 6 lights in whole place, two of the lights were class I and the electrician didn't notice that neither had CPC. Nor the fact that there was open continuity on the only ring main for the property, and had provided IR reading which were false (or somehow the cable had deteriorated within 3 months from time of his test and my review, changing from results of >200M ohms to 1.12 M ohms. Not very likely).
Out of the last 5 PIR/EICR reports I have seen 3 of them have had unforgivable mistakes on them. What ever happened to being competent?

funny you should say that as i rarely see a test sheet these days, even for an old property with an I/R reading of less than >200 in every box on every circuit

the world of domestic PIR's is a sad place for someone who actually cares!

I charge £160 for anything upto and including a 3 bed house. Conservatory would be extra £40 as would extra bedrooms etc. I offer a discount of 25% for flats with 2 beds or less.

I dont win much granted but then again I do a proper job, including paperwork there isnt much time left in a day to do anything else. I also dont pull the customers pants down on the remedial works. In fact i state from the off that unless they specifically ask me to quote for it then i wont as it could be seen as a conflict of interest. They get a report, and a list of non conformities, unless specifically asked for I wont even tell them recommended ways to fix the faults. My price for a report is exactly that.

Saying that like I said I dont win much these days with the £30-50 a test brigade on the case, but then again I dont want to value my work at £60 for a test that takes 4 hours to do properly and then rely on the remedial work to make it pay, i dont think this is the way that EICR should be done. Needless to say estate agents dont want to know. 1 local estate agent wanted me to do them for £30 per property because he had 50 that needed testing...

Heres a slightly different take on things....Bearing in mind its not the estate agent who pays the bill I'd imagine a lot of business savvy electricians make a small fortune from estate agents EICR's if they offer said agent some kind of 'incentive' for putting the work their way and the actual price becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Had an enquiry the other evening for a condition report for a 3 bed house, i said £140.......I heard a thud... i think he fell off his chair. Any way he said he didnt have much money and he heard it was about £60. I said you get what you pay for and if you think £60 will sell your house quicker then best of luck to you.

quoted £100 last time, did not get the job, cowboys do it for 50 quid :(

Amlu. Just curious why he is automatically labeled a "COWBOY" simply because they offered a better competitve price, and got the job ahead of you in todays very over supplied and competitive market. Like yourself and most, I am also very frustrated at the under value of our skill and trade.
I take it we do not know what the reason why you did not get the work, and they did, and it is not always price - it could be a host of other factors, and dare I say it the client may even have thought you were to cheap at £100 and gave it to someone more expensive as the other party awarded the work may have sold and presented themselves and product a lot better than you.

Amlu. Just curious why he is automatically labeled a "COWBOY" simply because they offered a better competitve price, and got the job ahead of you in todays very over supplied and competitive market. Like yourself and most, I am also very frustrated at the under value of our skill and trade.
I take it we do not know what the reason why you did not get the work, and they did, and it is not always price - it could be a host of other factors, and dare I say it the client may even have thought you were to cheap at £100 and gave it to someone more expensive as the other party awarded the work may have sold and presented themselves and product a lot better than you.

Complete bollox,,,,, YeeeeeHaaaaaa

EICR for £50 quid is ridiculous.

Like to see how they can do a EICR + rectify any hidden/unhidden faults aswell.

- - - Updated - - -

EICR for £50 quid is ridiculous.

Like to see how they can do a EICR + rectify any hidden/unhidden faults aswell.

What is "Complete bollox"???
Please expand as interested in and value your views and opinion from a debate platform. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaa is not really contributing or putting foward another view point that adds to the debate.

Please expand as interested in and value your views and opinion from a debate platform. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaa is not really contributing or putting foward another view point that adds to the debate.

My tuppence worth, even though you were having this conversastion with Toonlad.

It is complete bollox because - the way of joe public in todays climate (bar the few who use tradesmen on a clientel bases) is that they will go for the cheapest price. And for someone to be doing an EICR for under £100 they're either a millionaire or they have no clue what they're doing...my guess is the latter.

Should be more the £200 mark not £50.

How someone can justify £50 is beyond me. Like KAS1 says...the paperwork, thats not even to mention the diesel/petrol cost, half a day/full days work, remedial costs ect. ect. ect.

My guess that anyone charging £50 for an EICR is that they're doing it 'to get the job' then they'll charge the poor unsuspecting customer £200+ by the end of it because of 'unforseen circumstances' which is wrong IMO.

Don't fight it, 50 quid is total Rollocks and anyone with half a brain would agree, take your finger out of your a** and just accept there are members here with more knowledge trying to help you.

HUH.

Ok i will elaborate my comment as that all it deserves Mamba.

1. What is complete bollox...Its the part where your implying if you dont present yourself well you dont get the job, there is no product to sell, you are simply carrying out a test and inspection of the wiring, to formulate a report for the customer. Complete bollox is a term used often when someone spouts sh1te.

2. Yeeehaaaa is a phrase often used by cowboys.

3. You want to know why it was suggested that these people are to be branded as cowboys like the op Said. News flash for you mamba son. They cannot be doing a THOURGH REPORT, and cutting corners.

Finally let me give you a scenario.. You get to do EICR and its 40 miles away from your home, most of us take jobs within a 50 mile radius and take this for normal daily work. 80 mile around trip at todays prices thats about £16. then the time you lost travel 1hr 30. so your 50 quid is now 34. you still have to write out report, do the testing. which includes actually taking the cover off the board, sockets switches. Then test approx 8-10 ccts on a 3 bed house build in the 70s and early 80s. For these guys to make a living at 50 quid a pop they are claiming at doing about 6 -8 a day. Not ****ing possible.

Is this enough expance for you mamba, I and the majority of the members who see this priceing only draw one conclusion from yrs and yrs of experiance, they dont give a ----, and dont do the job correctly. Therefore I am more than happy to say its complete bollox and they are yeeehaaas

Sorry to the pub members for my wall of text. You may reply with the ™ TLDR (to long didnt read)

I always contend that perhaps as much as 95 % of domestic Eicrs are as much use as bog roll and for the reasons given by others

Competent sparks cannot compete with rogue large companies doing these bin reports
The prices and the work involved does not compute,it is a farce,it is a sham,both on the part of these companies and the rental sector landlords, be they private landlords or housing associations

This must be the only occupation where the skilled person is alienated from his natural work in favour of necessary incompetents

I must edit my bog roll example and issue an apology to bog roll manufacturers
The residue that gets deposited on bog rolls is made only by the producers of these Eicrs ,bog rolls does not make the residue,it just clean it up

I think the problem with paying for EICR by the average man or woman in the street is they compare it to the price of an MOT on a car and that's the sort of price they expect to pay lol

I know what you mean KAS1 a lot of people do not grasp how much service is actually worth.

For example i have given before, you quote a customer for a full rewire, and they think its too expensive, but they will spend the same or even more on a holiday with there family, and forget about rectifying safety issues about the home , which could actually get someone killed. Or buy that new car sitting on the driveway.

It is complete bollox because - the way of joe public in todays climate (bar the few who use tradesmen on a clientel bases) is that they will go for the cheapest price. And for someone to be doing an EICR for under £100 they're either a millionaire or they have no clue what they're doing...my guess is the latter.

Ok OK guys I bow down and am humbled by your far superior accomplished knowledge, experianced and proficient skills business skills. I am only a thick dumb Sparkie.

And there was me stupidly thinking that there may have possibly been other major factors that possibly influence consumer /client buying behaviour and decision process other than price. I am really really dumb. And not only dumb I have also now learnt through your wise and experianced quote I have no clue what I am doing as at times like the last 2or 3 weeks I am doing an EIRC for under £100.

You are absolutly right the penny has just dropped "I have not got a clue" What was I thinking about when I thought it better to go out and earn a crust, be it a little crust, but those crusts then become a loaf of bread, rather than sitting at home watching the bills rack up and day time Telly, and feeling sorry for myself while moaning to my other stupid and clueless friends as i wait for my house, car, business taken away from me.
Stupid Stupid me I am going to phone the 4 clients I have got booked in next week and tell them I have not got a clue what I am doing, soon as I have done that going to tell the wife that I am not going to earn any money or income next week because the really intelligent and clever guys have said I have not got a clue.

Again I cannot apologise enough for firstly talking bollox and then being so stupid and clueless.

There are,probably such as yourself,well trained experienced electricians trying their dammed hardest to earn that crust in these the most difficult of times, you can only be commended for that and for putting your family first
icon14.png

However,it has to be realised by as many in and out of the industry that something is very wrong with its function as it is

How those foolish politicians could dream up and enact the crazed domestic installation fiasco that "was" Part P, whilst allowing the mind boggling area of test and inspection to be dragged down to the position, where, the lowest cost auction of these reports is considered to be open field for all and sundry,no experience no competence no qualification and still let loose

It's one of them issues where again I put most of the blame with the criminal Niceic organisation with its QS system which is open to such widespread abuse, and it is very widely abused

The skill of the electrician to have the competence and/or qualification and experience must surely be rewarded rather than thrown aside in favour of the permitted frauds that take place

It is your skill that is being discarded, dismissed, and treated with contempt,it should be back where it once reigned,at the top of tree of trades and payed accordingly
In a country where H+S has gone bananas ,these eicrs surely need to be addressed by the politicians,after all whats the point in legislation to make the landlord responsible for the safety of the tennant whilst at the same time accepting this status quo

Ok OK guys I bow down and am humbled by your far superior accomplished knowledge, experianced and proficient skills business skills. I am only a thick dumb Sparkie.

And there was me stupidly thinking that there may have possibly been other major factors that possibly influence consumer /client buying behaviour and decision process other than price. I am really really dumb. And not only dumb I have also now learnt through your wise and experianced quote I have no clue what I am doing as at times like the last 2or 3 weeks I am doing an EIRC for under £100.

You are absolutly right the penny has just dropped "I have not got a clue" What was I thinking about when I thought it better to go out and earn a crust, be it a little crust, but those crusts then become a loaf of bread, rather than sitting at home watching the bills rack up and day time Telly, and feeling sorry for myself while moaning to my other stupid and clueless friends as i wait for my house, car, business taken away from me.
Stupid Stupid me I am going to phone the 4 clients I have got booked in next week and tell them I have not got a clue what I am doing, soon as I have done that going to tell the wife that I am not going to earn any money or income next week because the really intelligent and clever guys have said I have not got a clue.

Again I cannot apologise enough for firstly talking bollox and then being so stupid and clueless.

Also, £100 for an EICR...why prostitute yourself. You're a skilled tradesmen.

You massive bellend.

Also, £100 for an EICR...why prostitute yourself. You're a skilled tradesmen.

I have gone from "not having a clue" to a "skilled trdesaman" I feel I am really on the up in your books and getting drawn into your warm bossom.
Then you call me a prostitute - now we are really warming to each other - as we are in the same field you know - both prosititues. As Oscar Wilde once asked to a pretty young lady "Will you sleep with me for a million pounds//" the lady giggled and said Oscar of course I will. A few monents later and a cocktail or two later he then asked "Will you sleep with me for a pound??" She replied Oscar what do you think I am "A prositute!! To which Oscar replied yes we have established that all we doing now is negotating the price!!
So I may work for £100 [or sit at home and do and earn nothing] if that makes me a prostitute i will take it but then I am no different from you going out and earning £x so in reality you are the same .... a prositiute ....only the price is different ...if at all. So don't portray and judge others as yourself.

Massive bellend ....now is that really called for, a bit harsh and unfair - as all I am doing is thanking you sincerly and honestly for you pointing out that Joe Public only buys on Price [So on that theory as a prostitute I am going to get a lot more business than you - right, as I am cheaper] And again agreeing and apologising to you for being clueless, and thats the Thanks I get.

Really, really didn't want to have to do this - but seen as though you're starting to irritate me i thought i needed too.

This was you're first comment - which probably started this pointless debate/argument whatever you want to call it. And nowhere did you state that you were doing EICR's for under £100. Also, you said to Amlu that he probably hasn't conducted himself well - so don't start trying to make me look small, when you started this whole pointless situation.

This comment of mine, was noway intended too cause this argument. I was posting this, as a personal opinion which agreed with what Toonlad had said. My reference to agreeing to the 'complete bollox' phrase was what you said in your first post...."a better competitive price" ...we are talking about an EICR for under £100 here. So, i stand by what Toonlad said...it's complete bollox.

Now, im sorry but this post is complete and utter trash. Nowhere, in the previous posts - which i've kindly highlighted for you, did you ever say that you were doing an EICR for under £100. So all the above posts cannot refer to you, because we did not know. I did not call you clueless, i called people who do EICR's for cheap clueless, and at the time you hadn't made it clear that you were one of these people. Infact, to be blunt - it's people like you that are doing EICR's for so cheap which is causing this trade to go down the pan. Can you justify a thorough EICR for under £100 when you take every factor into account? No, No you can't and it's as simple as that. Wise up.

I have gone from "not having a clue" to a "skilled trdesaman" I feel I am really on the up in your books and getting drawn into your warm bossom.
Then you call me a prostitute - now we are really warming to each other - as we are in the same field you know - both prosititues. As Oscar Wilde once asked to a pretty young lady "Will you sleep with me for a million pounds//" the lady giggled and said Oscar of course I will. A few monents later and a cocktail or two later he then asked "Will you sleep with me for a pound??" She replied Oscar what do you think I am "A prositute!! To which Oscar replied yes we have established that all we doing now is negotating the price!!
So I may work for £100 [or sit at home and do and earn nothing] if that makes me a prostitute i will take it but then I am no different from you going out and earning £x so in reality you are the same .... a prositiute ....only the price is different ...if at all. So don't portray and judge others as yourself.

Massive bellend ....now is that really called for, a bit harsh and unfair - as all I am doing is thanking you sincerly and honestly for you pointing out that Joe Public only buys on Price [So on that theory as a prostitute I am going to get a lot more business than you - right, as I am cheaper] And again agreeing and apologising to you for being clueless, and thats the Thanks I get.

The reason for the 'harsh' abuse, in which i sort of appologise - as language like that should be kept away from the forum. Basically, the way you've layed out this post and the last just screams 'cocky' and it irritated me. What an earth all the dribble about telling your wife you can't work for is beyond me.

Also, there was several others to take the same view - so just why you exactly decided to take everything out on me i'll never know.

And there was absolutley no need for starting a new thread, in the main electrical forum whinging about what had been said in this thread. I don't have a problem with you mamba nor do i want to have a problem with you - but IMO i think you're attitude stinks. Granted, some will probably think the same about mine on here - but to me, you're the one that has started this and there was little need for it.

I'm out.

I can't be arsed to read all the posts but I can bet there are some 60quid merchants and Electrical Trainee reading this thread
My starting price for a domestic eicr (I've just today completed a contract for 12 two bed flats at this price each) is £190.....why you lot sell your knowledge short is beyond me.

Not clever - it's not really wise to broadcast what you charge for an EICR on a public forum. Don't worry i made the same mistake last week, and got put straight by another member and quickly edited my post :) you don't have too, im just saying that because you've got your rough location posted aswell.

But for what it's worth, i'm not that far off you. IMO, it's around the correct ballmark of what a thorough and professional EICR should cost (without wanting to open a can of worms/pointless argument again)

i was quoted 2 prices by 2 plumbers to rip out a bathroom suite and put a new one in (no time to do it myself). An older guy wanted 2 days to do it. A young guy, prob 22-23, wanted 1 day and was £130 cheaper than the reputable old head. I went with the young guy. He started at 8 in the morning, and was done by lunch. I couldn't fault his work. That was 2 years ago now and never had any problems with it (as you would expect).

Moral of the story? Old heads on here complaining about others being too cheap, tough ------- gentleman. If you value yourself greater than what the customer values you (and is willing to pay), then all the experience in the world will fill out the giro application nicely.

The usual suspects will now tarnish me a cowboy, lepar, tar, feather and stone me from the comfort of their keyboard gangster ways. So with that, i'm out.

GROUP HUG?

Missing the point smudge, the point being if we sparks discuss rates in the open here then unskilled men will be using our prices to con members of the public into using them for work and putting them in danger, once they know our costs they will under cut us and the risk to the public rises, in the pub we discuss prices, we all have varying rates, if your a spark ask the mods to contact the admin about letting you in, think about whats been mentioned and you may get our point. group hug ?

I don't think i did miss the point? I'm solely referring to people moaning about being undercut. Professional courtesy or not, its business after all. I'll pass on the pub thanks, i'm not keen on the bullying cliques that go on on here as it is. Some very clever people on here, vastly more knowledgeable than i am, but unfortunately with that seems to come a self righteous attitude that tends to gang up and slate a mans opinion (not you on this instance, i'm talking generally).

And if non-sparks are scanning this site for prices, i can do it for £600 cash in hand and a rewire of a 2 bed flat for 14 grand.

ps, i'm not in the domestic game anymore (thankfully), but just thought i'd throw in my worthless opinion :smilewinkgrin:

Nothing wrong with fair competition, just not fair on the public if an unskilled man carries out works to their properties and he gets the ideas of cost from here, we won't agree obviouly as your talking about one thing and me another, the thread has now got around to slating a mans opinion when I thought we were discussing not allowing browsers from seeing prices, the threads all over the place now haha, anyway have a good day and enjoy your weekend.

Nothing wrong with fair competition, just not fair on the public if an unskilled man carries out works to their properties and he gets the ideas of cost from here, we won't agree obviouly as your talking about one thing and me another, the thread has now got around to slating a mans opinion when I thought we were discussing not allowing browsers from seeing prices, the threads all over the place now haha, anyway have a good day and enjoy your weekend.

good point, its like a blind mans boxing bout, just swinging away! I'm going to take you up on that pub idea this morning, but more in a literal sense than a virtual one :17:

i was quoted 2 prices by 2 plumbers to rip out a bathroom suite and put a new one in (no time to do it myself). An older guy wanted 2 days to do it. A young guy, prob 22-23, wanted 1 day and was £130 cheaper than the reputable old head. I went with the young guy. He started at 8 in the morning, and was done by lunch. I couldn't fault his work. That was 2 years ago now and never had any problems with it (as you would expect).

Moral of the story? Old heads on here complaining about others being too cheap, tough ------- gentleman. If you value yourself greater than what the customer values you (and is willing to pay), then all the experience in the world will fill out the giro application nicely.

The usual suspects will now tarnish me a cowboy, lepar, tar, feather and stone me from the comfort of their keyboard gangster ways. So with that, i'm out.

GROUP HUG?

I will not brand you a cowboy - in the same way, that i didn't brand the OP a cowboy.

Right, my gripe is - which is also the reason i got so opinionated is that i personally think, along with many other members that you can't possibly do a thorough and professional EICR for £50 without being out of pocket by the end of it.

Now, if people are willing to charge peanuts it won't be long before we all start having to charge peanuts.

It is all well and good saying market forces dictate the terms,it may be true but its a very poor countrywide attitude
Eicrs are supposed to be an inspection and test for the safe continued use of an electrical installation

When those eicrs are done by big firms paying an employee a wage to do minimum 4 a day at low cost and housing associations etc willing to go along with the sham.
The possibility of the primary reason for an eicr,to ensure the safe continued use,it has no alternative other than to be a sham.a waste of time.an affront to the H+S of the customer

Whilst these bog rolls exist,competent sparks,able to carry out worthwhile eicrs,they are being squeezed out of the market by the presence of these bog roll eicrs

GROUP HUG?

Smudge i dont consider myself old, i would not know what target age you are bracketing as old. I know lots of electricians who are 22-25 bracket which i would consider as young ie 2-5 yrs experiance from serving there time. They are sole traders and they cannot compete at these silly prices.
These guys run about on domestics and commercials and industrial work and can knock spots off me in install times, and they are good at there work. For this reason alone i cannot totally agree with your comment. These guys alone have tried to drop prices to compete, but are not making enough to break even. So end up at an agency, with all hopes running a small business in tatters, not from condition reports alone but, rewires, board changes etc.

Reply to Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net