Discuss Cost of domestic electric shower install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dk03

Hi Guys I am trying to see how much it would cost to get a new electric shower installed like this one:

Triton Enlight 8.5kw Electric Shower White | Triton Showers SFXENL08WC

I don't want to post on those sites where they sell the leads as its unfair if i decided not to get it done.

The job would need new wiring from the bathroom to the consumer unit which is about 5 metres away (opposite the bathroom).

How much would it cost just for the install not including the cost of the shower?

Many Thanks!

Also area is Thurrock in Essex!

Its just a rough quote as very tight on money atm so need to budget for a new one as having baths is costing a lot with a family of 5 so need a new shower installed really!

Does your consumers unit have an RCD ?
Do you have any spare ways on your consumers unit?
What make of consumers unit is it?

That shower is only a 50 pound plus vat shower, If I were pricing the job the cost of the shower would still be included in my quote TBH, So buying it first and expecting someone to do a cheap labour job may not work for you.

Does your consumers unit have an RCD ?
Do you have any spare ways on your consumers unit?
What make of consumers unit is it?

1) The CU has a RCD
2) There is 1 spare on the CU, where the shower used to be put on (5th from left) but my dad wired that in and he isn't an electrician hence why i am saying it needs new wiring because it wasn't done properly (I think haha).
3) The consumer unit is a Wylex i have attached a pic for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdeu5no5mbuwftz/20131229_140814.jpg

4) Not sure about the bonding so would have to say no to be safe, would that add extra costs?

@MDJ thanks for the heads up on the cost of the shower thing!

I would want 200 + vat that doesn't include shower and going on assumption bonding is correct.

Do you have gas in the property?
IF so and you have a combi / unvented system, a mixer shower would be a better choice and a lot cheaper to run.

Do you have gas in the property?
IF so and you have a combi / unvented system, a mixer shower would be a better choice and a lot cheaper to run.

We do have a gas powered unvented system but there is only a few feet between the tank and the shower so the pressure would be too low wouldn't it? Would installing a pump be expensive?

difficult to assess without seeing. if you post your location, one of us may be close to you and could pop round and quote.

Should actually be excellent, way to test is to turn on the bath taps (if you have a bath, failing that the kitchen sink, if the hot pressure is about the same as the cold pressure then no need for a pump)
An unvented system is pressurised to mains cold water pressure (hence the unvented - no vent pipe hanging out of the roof. instead you have 2 pipes coming through the wall with a 180 degree bend on them (or you should do) one comes from the pressure relief valve on the boiler and the other (usually bigger pipe) is the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank.
I bought a thermostatic bar mixer shower from toolstation...about £40ish, standard 150mm centres so you can change the mixer if you need to in the future, the supplied shower head is useless though (mine broke after about 4 months, went and bought a better shower head as nothing wrong with the mixer itself)
Get a bar mixer mounting kit though, toolstation and screwfix sell them, should be self explanatory how it goes together.

[QUOTE said:
dk03;879203]1) The CU has a RCD
2) There is 1 spare on the CU, where the shower used to be put on (5th from left) but my dad wired that in and he isn't an electrician hence why i am saying it needs new wiring because it wasn't done properly (I think haha).
3) The consumer unit is a Wylex i have attached a pic for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdeu5no5mbuwftz/20131229_140814.jpg
QUOTE]

Out of interest, what's the small additional CU in the photo supplying??

and it looks like a spare way where that unlabelled B6 sits.

Reply to Cost of domestic electric shower install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net