Currently reading:
Cowboy Electrician or not?

Discuss Cowboy Electrician or not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

killerking

Hi

I am seeking some advise not sure if i you can help or point me in the right direction,

I have had some electrical work done in my council home, the council stated they need an niceic contractor to carry out the works and to provide a electrical installtion cert with part p.

I used someone from mybuilder.com who claims he his niceic reg and has his part p,the work has been completed, he said he will send me the certs through the post but after reading forums etc i getting a bit worried as he was supposed to provide me with these certs there and then, so i getting worried now as 1. is the work safe and 2.i need this certs to provide to the local council to pass the work off, i havent had anything through the post as yet and i have send a message on mybuilder.com, what shall i do is there anyway to check if this person is niceic registered?
Thanks

mycowboy.com

:) local council housing authority guru questioned my Elecsa status when doing work for a tennant!! after 30 second chat he was up to speed and said oh well its about time the NIC had competition, he than asked who they were associated with and i said hmmm they are owned by the ECA and he was made up to the hilt, even told him about B GAS been eca and elecsa and he went away with my card

Yes he has been paid, i typed his company name in google and i get a buisness address etc so i do know where they are, when the work was complete i asked him '' what do i need of you paper wise'' he said '' nothing'' i said i need some form of certs, when i asked about part p he said he will send it through the post. The works carried out where, consumer unit moving to different wall insatlltion of double plug and light.

ordinarily i'd send certs out on final payment (as advised by my elecsa assessor).
and you should receive installation certificate and a part p compliance cert (issued by elecsa in my case)

If i do not get this certs, what are my options in obtaining these 2 certs?

If the person who carried out the work is registered with a scheme, then contact the scheme, but if the person is not registered then you won't be issued with a part p compliance certificate but you can ask for a installation certificate.

work not done to Part P may invalidate your insurance if electrical work is cause of fire!
you can be reasonably be prosecuted by building control for non complience
your council could insist you pay them for inspection costing hundreds of pounds!

You should get 2 certs as you say, normally the first one you get on full payment, and the second you get through the post a few weeks later. There's nothing to say you HAVE to have the 1st cert on the day, he may just put the details into the lappy and print up a good copy when he gets home, for example. Althogh having the cert on the day is the norm.

I'm getting the impression it's only been a day nor two since the work was done, if that's the case I'd leave it a while longer, and also try contacting him again before getting building control involved.

NIC website niceic.org or phone them ( there based in Houghton Regis ( Dunstable ) 0870 0130382 / 01582 539000 give them his trading title and post code and they will tell you if he is registered or not.

If you write a certificate out of a pad then OK you could be issued with a cert but many of use use computers to to print cefrtificates so carrying a computer and printer etc in the van as well as everything else gets beyond a joke. I always do mine in the office, save a copy for myself, register the job and produce the invoice all at the same time.

Why did you not use an electrician who was on a scheme register ? or there's electricians who have their details on this forum. was you trying to get the job done cheaply ?

after chatting to the OP, he had some building work done and the electrics was in with the price of the structural work,

it may sufice that the building company who is NOT registered with NIC use a subby mate who may be!! (you know the craic lol)

any way the likes of my builder "erghhhhh" are endorsed by National TV adverts so we dont have a leg to stand on when we call them cowboys! thats all the public see!

TV AD = Proper Job
Newspaper cutting = Cowboy

how wrong they are!

Last edited by a moderator:
after chatting to the OP, he had some building work done and the electrics was in with the price of the structural work,

it may sufice that the building company who is NOT registered with NIC use a subby mate who may be!! (you know the craic lol)

any way the likes of my builder "erghhhhh" are endorsed by National TV adverts so we dont have a leg to stand on when we call them cowboys! thats all the public see!

TV AD = Proper Job
Newspaper cutting = Cowboy

how wrong they are!

After being up all night worried i decided to to inspect the CU, i have had previous experience in electrics mainly on 3 phase when i left school, after inspected the CU 4 earth wires had not been connected 2 snapped and 2 loose so not a happy chappie.
Have redone them now, if this guy is supposed to be niceic no way would 4 earth wires be out.
He advertises niceic and gas safe registered on his profile, but they must be sub contractors he uses, he is just a builder. As the CU was moved up on a adjecent wall and with him doing the buiding work i think he didnt even cut the wires back just put the slack in the celing.
For my own peace of mind (i have 4 children to think of) i will get the electrics done again this time i will ask for all relevent paperwork and insurance before any work is to be carried out.
If i do get the certs of this fella no doubt it will be of the niceic contractor he uses, which is no good for me at all, nt to mention illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys i have 3 electricians coming out for a quote that i have phoned this evening, all of them have given me there Niceic numbers which i have checked online and all seem fine, what else should i be asking these guys? should i be asking if they have Public liability Insurance ? sorry if this sounds n00bie just want to make sure i dont fall into the same trap.

Reply to Cowboy Electrician or not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock