Discuss CU change Best practice/meter tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roger

Small bungalow existing fuse board 1 ring main and 2 lighting circuits,thats all !
It used to have economy 7 so it has teleswitch and another fuseboard 3 way.Gas central heating installed so this lot is redundant.
Both fuse boards have their tails squeezed into the meter (only 16mm) and meter head has 2 neutrals.
I am doing a CU change and rewiring lighting as no earth at switch although steel conduit for drops is all still in place.
Immersion feed is of a fused spur from the only ring main.They have had additional sockets added in the kitchen on 2 radials albeit not connected.I would like to access meter and service head to tidy this lot up,it looks a right mess currently.I obviously wont but whats the best way of going about it.As i am typing it is becoming clear in my head.I propose to do CU change/test inspect etc.But connect to a henly block leaving long meter tails.Coonect one set of old tails to healy block and this provides power as property is occupied.Contact Electricity supplier and hopefully they would remove old stuff and connect my new meter tails to the new meter which was recently fitted.Would they charge for this ?
I would mount CU direct on brick wall and leave meter and service head on existing chipboard.Or should this be replaced with a no flammable board ? i guess the Supplier would change if they thought necessary.
A local company quoted £2450 to do this and I am struggling to get to more than 3 days work ? they were going to put a 12 way board in !

I would like to access meter and service head to tidy this lot up,it looks a right mess currently.I obviously wont but whats the best way of going about it

Unless the meter fairies are about you'll need to get dno involved.

I propose to do CU change/test inspect etc.But connect to a henly block leaving long meter tails.Coonect one set of old tails to healy block and this provides power as property is occupied.Contact Electricity supplier and hopefully they would remove old stuff and connect my new meter tails to the new meter which was recently fitted.
Answered your own post

Would they charge for this ?
Oh yes indeed they will.

leave meter and service head on existing chipboard.Or should this be replaced with a no flammable board ? i guess the Supplier would change if they thought necessary.
Leave it to the dno boys, if the board is flakey they'll change it.

Do your install as you stated
The Supplier are responsible for their own equipment so dont rip out their gear
If you apply for test and connection to the meter of your own tails.they charge about £ 16 for this service,the removal of their equipment is their cost, you could mention to them what work was needed on the application for supply form,but dont agree payment for that,its just your advise to them

Reply to CU change Best practice/meter tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net