Discuss Cutting back boxes in plasterboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I find myself in the position of having to fit a few back boxes in to plasterboard. In the past for the odd one I just used a hand plasterboard saw to cut out a hole, but I wondered if anyone here has used something like the square/rectangular cutter adaptors you get for multi-tools to do this sort of thing. If so, how well did it work?

Suggestions for make/model?

TL;DR tips for cutting boxes in plasterboard

The only hesitataion I have in using a multi tool is the fact that it lives underneath every other power tool. Needs to be worth the time of digging it out and carefully repacking everything so the lid closes.

I have used every tool known to man for this task! I have a dedicated mini-router which is very fast, and a mutitool which is also fast...they both create a lot of dust.
A sharp jab-saw is fast and accurate, creates much less dust and "swiping" the edges of the cutout with the back of the blade creates very accurate and "squared-off" apertures...and it doesn't need any power from mains or batteries, so all in all it's ideal for a few cuts in an occupied property. The mini-router is so fast though...if property is unoccupied and dust isn't a problem, it is super fast, and with the correct blade can trim very accurately. I love it...but it is a last resort if I want to minimise dust.
Jabsaw for me 90% of the time.

As a few others have said... I use a multi tool rather than a jab saw. The plasterer politely (ish) suggested it as he said it was more likely to cut a smoothy, cleaner hole and he wouldn't need to return. He was right.

Fair point @nicebutdim However, the rapidity of the oscillation of a multitool or router creates much very fine dust which is rapidly airborne. A jabsaw is much slower and the dust is less fine, more "crumbly" and falls to the floor rather than becoming airborne.
That's my experience anyway...maybe I'm not skilled enough?
I always like the less intrusive approach for most tasks...yes, I still use buckle clips sometimes!
I always drill and screw rather than hammer, and I use a hole punch rather than a hole-saw to make holes in CUs and other accesories...gently does it!

Fair point @nicebutdim However, the rapidity of the oscillation of a multitool or router creates much very fine dust which is rapidly airborne. A jabsaw is much slower and the dust is less fine, more "crumbly" and falls to the floor rather than becoming airborne.
That's my experience anyway...maybe I'm not skilled enough?
I always like the less intrusive approach for most tasks...yes, I still use buckle clips sometimes!
I always drill and screw rather than hammer, and I use a hole punch rather than a hole-saw to make holes in CUs and other accesories...gently does it!

Multi tool should be as intrusive as a jab saw, with a thin, clean line resulting from its use in pasterboard. There's no more skill involved in its use, than in using a jab saw - both involve following a pencil line. Both will, by their nature, create some airborne dust, but in both cases it should be minimal and not straying more than a very short distance from the cut surface. The only potential factor I could think of was excessive speed throwing dust a bit further. Perhaps its the tool itself or blade being used, but all I can say is my experience is very different from what you describe.

Happy to hear of your experince on this @nicebutdim
Maybe my technique is lacking! It probably is!
However, another reason I like the jabsaw is that you get tactile feedback, so if you hit an unexpected obstacle behind the plasterboard it's immediately obvious with the jabsaw...which can be useful feedback sometimes...
Plus, I am never in a hurry so taking 2 minutes more isn't a problem for me.
Guess I'm just old-fashioned...
I have every powertool imagineable, love using them, but if I can take a "gentler" route, I do that...
Not fast, not exciting, not fun...just gentle.
I use an electric screwdriver for face plate screws etc and it saves time and effort and my arthritic hands, but I like to do the final screwing back by hand...and I have never used a dugga-dugga in a CU...
I guess it's a case of what works for you...no wrong way really (except dugga-dugga in CU!)
No criticism intended for anyone who uses a multitool or router for backboxes in plasterboard...I do it too sometimes...all I was saying is that I like the slower, gentler approach, which is probably just because I am an old git!

Reply to Cutting back boxes in plasterboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net