Discuss Daisy chained earth bonding cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Roogy1

DIY
Reaction score
The earth bonding cable has been daisy chained to 3 gas meters (the conductor has been cut at each earth strap). Is this satisfactory?, will it pass an inspection ok ?

Guidance Note 8, Earthing & Bonding suggests they should be continuous however BS7671, Requirements for Electrical Installations does not suggest this but then again I believe BS7430, Code of Practice for Earthing does suggest it. If you have an EICR which is done in accordance with BS7671 then it should not be an issue.

Guidance Note 8, Earthing & Bonding suggests they should be continuous however BS7671, Requirements for Electrical Installations does not suggest this but then again I believe BS7430, Code of Practice for Earthing does suggest it. If you have an EICR which is done in accordance with BS7671 then it should not be an issue.

It always makes me wonder why they never align GN8 and the regs on this issue.

I don't have GN8 to hand, do they give a definition of continuous?
could it be that 2 cables with a sound bolted connection are considered continuous? after all they have continuity and that is a word derived from continuous.

p.s. I don't have an answer for this, was just thinking out loud.

I'm assuming a domestic setup - but is this communal bonding in a block of flats? (or a house with 3 gas meters?). If so where are they bonded back to? In theory it might come under one inspection for communal areas (often missed in flats I find), or it might be inspected by 3 separate people with different views under each property....

The issue is the risk of one of the cables coming loose and bonding then not being effectively present on the far end of the chain. At least if the cable is continuous then if the first one drops the 2nd and 3rd are still bonded.

It's likely perfectly functional as it is, so the issue is how likely the chain is to be broken.

If I was testing it and could verify continuity, then I might code it as as C3 - But if the clamps were poorly installed or incorrect for the environment (showing deterioration because of a inside clamp used outside for example), then it might just reach C2.

It sounds like it would be fairly easy to fix though unless there is a very long run or the cable is damaged.

Reply to Daisy chained earth bonding cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net