Discuss Departure from BS7671 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Carrying out an EICR and came across a ring final circuit wired to the first of six metal clad sockets in 2.5mm 5 core SWA. Obviously 2 cores for live, 2 for neutral & 1 fir the CPC. No earth tag at either end of the SWA so can assume it's not being used as a CPC. Should I put this down as a departure or C3.

Carrying out an EICR and came across a ring final circuit wired to the first of six metal clad sockets in 2.5mm 5 core SWA. Obviously 2 cores for live, 2 for neutral & 1 fir the CPC. No earth tag at either end of the SWA so can assume it's not being used as a CPC. Should I put this down as a departure or C3.
The armour should be Earthed. But for the lack of ring continuity on the cpc then I would suggest that this needs to be rectified.

If a core is being used as the CPC, and they earth the armour, what is the departure?

If they earth the SWA correctly either end while I'm here wouldn't it just go down as a departure?

No, you don't record departures on an EICR, that is something that you record on an installation certificate.

An EICR is only concerned with reporting on the suitability for continued use of the installation by recording non-compliances which have a safety implication or that could be changed to improve the safety of the installation.

A ring circuit is required to have a CPC in the form of a ring unless it is formed by a metal covering or enclosure containing all of the conductors of the ring (543.2.9)
So as it is now I'd be inclined towards C3 but if the armour is properly connected at each end (and 543.2.7 has also been complied with) then no code.

Reply to Departure from BS7671 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net