Discuss DIY Very Big Bang in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Extend the tails from the top of the switch lol.

But if your going to replace the top portion you might as well rip the lot out and start again

If the original tails were in capping not just plastered straight over the top you might have just about been able to pull a few inches of slack and adopted the isolation switch repair :)

@Dustydazzler . It was just tongue in cheek Dusty , but depends what kind of upheaval is involved for an economical solution. It's up to the landlord really , putting it back the way it was is just inviting another incident.

@Dustydazzler . It was just tongue in cheek Dusty , but depends what kind of upheaval is involved for an economical solution. It's up to the landlord really , putting it back the way it was is just inviting another incident.

I got the humour part but in jest it could have actually Been a fairly quick and cost effective solution

I know , not to pretty though. ;)
PS. It just goes to show though that safe zones are not publicised enough.
That could have had a nasty outcome.

Last edited:
can't see the problem with the isolator. the actual isolator body is about 2". or even fit a KMF. they are designed for in at bottom, out at top.

DIY Very Big Bang 1563965514429 - EletriciansForums.net

Depends on what the landlord would be happy with.
If I was paying the bill , I would be happy. :)

The landlord might not want some ugly trunking going up his wall. The cable was initially in the wall and he may want it that way again.
@Ricard Has the landlord been told yet? If so then what has he said?

The landlord might not want some ugly trunking going up his wall. The cable was initially in the wall and he may want it that way again.
@Ricard Has the landlord been told yet? If so then what has he said?

The cable was buried when burying cables like this was loosely acceptable

Putting it back exactly like this even if this was acceptable 10 years back would now not meet regulations

The cables need to either be on a 30ma rcd now or installed in earth metal containment

Trunking all be it a bit ugly will probably be best solution

The cable was buried when burying cables like this was loosely acceptable

Putting it back exactly like this even if this was acceptable 10 years back would now not meet regulations

The cables need to either be on a 30ma rcd now or installed in earth metal containment

Trunking all be it a bit ugly will probably be best solution

I think you misunderstand me mate. What I was implying is that the landlord may want the cable back in the wall, so it's not visible. Of course this would have to be done to the regs. I thought that that was obvious and didn't need stating..... It seems it did.

All speculation at the end of the day.
Still waiting to see what the landlord has actually said about the situation.

If the landlord has any sense this should be his preferred option as it would prevent it happening again

True, but then you could say that about all cables in walls.
A certain amount of common sense had to be used when drilling into walls and big electric boxes are on said wall 12 inches away...

True, but then you could say that about all cables in walls.
A certain amount of common sense had to be used when drilling into walls and big electric boxes are on said wall 12 inches away...
100% what he did was crazy but we live in a world that presumes no one has any common sense

Not sure how feasible but how about coming up the exterior in SWA glanded into suitably rated IP65 JB then straigt through into the back of the CU with tails.

Bit of poly filla on the old blast crater and Bob's your aunties brother.

I think we all know the answer to that.
But it will never be told

Old thread but!

He seems to have taken insufficient notice of the fact that the consumer unit is above where he was drilling.
Never advisable to drill directly under, over (or even horizontally) from a consumer unit/accessory as they are supposed to be 'safe zones' for installation of cables irrespective of mechanical protection or capping.

Never advisable to drill directly under, over (or even horizontally) from a consumer unit/accessory as they are supposed to be 'safe zones' for installation of cables irrespective of mechanical protection or capping.

Ask the general public what a 'Safe Zone' is and 95% will not know.

Reply to DIY Very Big Bang in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock