Discuss DOL starter 7.5HP, 3 ph motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

You know they give us all a laugh, so why not...

Hows the Risk Assessment coming along?
Dont take this the wrong way mate, but I hope you do the design fully before you purchase any components.

The risk assessment currently says:

Ribbon Blender Operation

Who is at risk: Ben
What are the hazards: Ben
Evaluate the risks: Ben might die
Recorded findings: Ben is dead
Risk assessment review: It's a shame Ben is dead

Alright Spoon, you've made your bed mate.....

haha Am I coming across like an annoying s#*t??? Im good at that..... Dont really mean to....

Wade over time it’s been obvious you can’t/won’t grasp the safety aspect of plant control.

Just remember if someone gets hurt it’s you’re neck on the block. The HSE are very good at swinging the axe.
They tried to get me, I was facing criminal and civil charges. I was totally exonerated but I went through hell in the process.

Wade over time it’s been obvious you can’t/won’t grasp the safety aspect of plant control.

Just remember if someone gets hurt it’s you’re neck on the block. The HSE are very good at swinging the axe.
They tried to get me, I was facing criminal and civil charges. I was totally exonerated but I went through hell in the process.

Just look at a TV near you " Have you been injured........................"

No Tony youre right I wont grasp it by just expecting to learn all i can from this forum. I need to seek professional tuition and spend some time with someone watching how they worl and getting stuck into some solid theory... I don't expect to be competent in such matters after a couple of hours spent sat here talking to you lot.

But

I enjoy coming here, to ask the questions i am unsure of and to generate discussion around these points to facilitate my understanding, albeit maybe slowly and not very efficiently, however i feel it is useful nonetheless.

Control is not something i do much of, but have the potential to do lots of, i also, contrary to your opinion have the potential and capacity to learn given the right circumstances, what i need to in order to be more than capable to overcome the tasks presented to me here.

Not taking my bat home at all and I fully understanding the implications of making a cock up and someone getting hurt, but i feel it is better to ask the questions, rather than blundering on ahead with it.

I can/will grasp the safety aspect on plant control, after all, if you managed it, im perfectly sure i can. I have discussed with my seniors here sending me away on a control and automation course to aid the beginning of my learning curve, hopefully then, i wont have to waste your time replying to my threads mate. I have had zero face to face help with plant control, i have managed to learn what i can from advice given on this forum, and will continue to do so. It is, after all, what it is for.

Much as I’d like an apprentice again I’m now too ill to work. BUT I will help you where I can.

I had to accept change from the simple control of 40 years back to take on board the changes in legislation. You are now constrained by that legislation from the outset.

Modifying a basic starter becomes embroiled in red tape. The stupid thing is, nothing in the basics has changed, its just more complicated.

I spent time in R&D with a totally lunatic production engineer. I had a notice above my desk, “I’m looking for ways to stop it!” He wanted everything speeding up.

Stopping a plant safely is the prime directive.

Some plant designs I’ve done where massive centrifuges were used, part of the program would short out all the safety interlocks. Overloads, thermisters, et al all bridged out by the program. It didn’t matter if the motor was on fire, it had to keep running! If someone was wrapped up in it, their dead long before anything can be done about it.*
For it to start its cycle everything had to be in place.
It would be too dangerous to stop the machine without it going in to a controlled emergency shutdown mode. Shut down took time but it stopped as quick as I could get it to do so safely without endangering the other workers.
The original design had an E-Stop, it just cut the power and it drifted to a stop. My set up the centrifuge went in to regenerative braking but only if the temperature in the centrifuge made it safe to do so. The first thing that would happen is three X 150HP water pumps would kick in to cool the centrifuge shell. The temperature in the centrifuge could be 1300°C

*HV work, one question you get asked is “what do you do if someone receives a HV shock?”
The answer is callous, “assume they are dead!”
The safety of the living is more important!

Have sent you a PM.

Much as I’d like an apprentice again I’m now too ill to work. BUT I will help you where I can.

I had to accept change from the simple control of 40 years back to take on board the changes in legislation. You are now constrained by that legislation from the outset.

Modifying a basic starter becomes embroiled in red tape. The stupid thing is, nothing in the basics has changed, its just more complicated.

I spent time in R&D with a totally lunatic production engineer. I had a notice above my desk, “I’m looking for ways to stop it!” He wanted everything speeding up.

Stopping a plant safely is the prime directive.

Some plant designs I’ve done where massive centrifuges were used, part of the program would short out all the safety interlocks. Overloads, thermisters, et al all bridged out by the program. It didn’t matter if the motor was on fire, it had to keep running! If someone was wrapped up in it, their dead long before anything can be done about it.*
For it to start its cycle everything had to be in place.
It would be too dangerous to stop the machine without it going in to a controlled emergency shutdown mode. Shut down took time but it stopped as quick as I could get it to do so safely without endangering the other workers.
The original design had an E-Stop, it just cut the power and it drifted to a stop. My set up the centrifuge went in to regenerative braking but only if the temperature in the centrifuge made it safe to do so. The first thing that would happen is three X 150HP water pumps would kick in to cool the centrifuge shell. The temperature in the centrifuge could be 1300°C

*HV work, one question you get asked is “what do you do if someone receives a HV shock?”
The answer is callous, “assume they are dead!”
The safety of the living is more important!

Have sent you a PM.

FFS, no wonder you are ill , thought we had it rough.

Reply to DOL starter 7.5HP, 3 ph motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net