Discuss Domestic three phase? advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Working for ENWL we used to regularly fit voltage recorders for this sort of problem. Leave it in for a week, check the voltage over this time, as it does vary according to the load and other factors. As said previously voltage to be between 216 and 253. Daft idea to think major upgrade to 3 phase required. If other properties on same supply suffering same problem we would check voltage at sub station, and adjust transformer tapping if required.

I have UKPN coming around for the second time this Thursday so will report back. I took few readings at a single socket at various times (that's the extent of my electrical ability) this weekend. I got the following:

11am everything off 224v
11.05am combi turned on 211v
17:00 with lights and combi on 214v

Interesting that combi+lights has higher voltage than what should be a lower load (combi on its own).

I guess the combi is a gas or oil device, ie not electric? If so, its load will be insignificant. You are better to test the voltage with a kettle, an electric oven and a couple of electric heaters switched on.

Your voltage test is looking at the voltage as it comes in your door. If you are on a long feed from the substation, which may be shared with other users, then the voltage drop will vary as your neighbours ramp up their consumption.

It will be interesting as to what UKPN have to say.

Local farmer probably has his grain dryers set too high!!!

It is quite unlikely that all 3 phases on the supply will be the same, different loads on each phase will affect them, as will time of day. That is why monitoring equipment is left in for a week, no good doing a test at only one time. It should also be tested at the incoming main fuse point, not at a socket.

I have UKPN coming around for the second time this Thursday so will report back. I took few readings at a single socket at various times (that's the extent of my electrical ability) this weekend. I got the following:

11am everything off 224v
11.05am combi turned on 211v
17:00 with lights and combi on 214v

Looking at the voltages at 224v you are only 6v under the nominal supply voltage of 230v turning the combi on drops the voltage by 13v which is quite significant but you don't give any details of the boiler or any other load. When checking the voltages it is a good idea to take load and no load readings as the 17:00 figure is a bit meaningless without having a similarly timed no load reference

I looked into electric boilers for a job a while ago and some of them would push any normal household supply well beyond it's capacity with loads of 15+KW.

Before making any comment about what UKPN are recommending it would need the OP to furnish a lot more info, I would suspect that the property and surrounding properties are on an old overhead supply that predates today's high electricity usage if the supply is feeding a number of properties similarly equipped with electric boilers then it is likely it will not capable of delivering what is needed without reinforcement
The problem the OP has is not unusual these days any will become a major issue if electric vehicles become the norm, I wonder how many installations exceed their original installed capacity.
Only last week I found a 60A cutout that was a bit worse for wear and had clearly been overloaded this was replaced by the DNO with a nice new 100A cut out, yes it gives the installation a bit more capacity but the supply cable is still the same old PILC it was before

My thoughts with the DNO suggestion of an upgrade to three phase would be how close is the three phase to the property and is the DNO trying to get some unsuspecting customer to pay for a network upgrade that ultimately benefits all the customers on that leg of the network.
The OP may benefit from having three phase installed as most electric boilers have multiple elements and the load could be spread across the phases and reduce the limitations that high load single phase appliances can have on an installation

The second site survey took place yesterday with the same outcome as the first. The technician said that one phase is enough and that they would need to monitor the incoming feed over a period of time.

Hopefully now that will be the next step.

Reply to Domestic three phase? advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net