Discuss Client wants a battery back up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M-B-Electrical-Services

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a regular client who has asked for a battery back up system to be installed at their home.
They live in a rural location on a single phase PME supply with a 100A fuse and run a business (internet based) from there too.
They suffer from regular power cuts which affect the day to day running of their business hence the need for a battery back up.

Their house isn't large by country house standards but it is full of high end gear with the 10 way split load consumer unit being fully utilised containing:
2 x 32A Ring Final Circuits
1 x 32A Double Oven/Microwave Circuit
1 x 32A Oven Circuit
The rest are typical lighting circuits etc.

I suspect that they are already close to if not exceeding their maximum demand already as they have the following installed (not by me):

32A Hot Tub Supply
32A EV Charger
32A Distribution Circuit to a Plant Room 6 way DB which feeds their water filtration systems, pumps and water heaters.

They plan to extend the property in the next couple of years which concerns me due to the above current loading.
I have casually mentioned an upgrade to the existing supply to a three phase supply which was met with some reluctance but I feel may be necessary if their future plans are to be realised.
They have asked that I take out the existing consumer unit and replace it with one that will "future proof" them for the foreseeable future and allow us to add on all their additional loads.

Anyway.....on to the actual question. Can anybody recommend a battery back up system which would suit their needs?
They do not have Solar and don't particularly want it as they see it as an eye-sore but in doing my research, all battery back up systems seem to be tied to solar panels in one way or another. My client basically just wants a battery back up system which will allow them to continue trading for 2 - 3 days.

Another snag is that I am not MCS Certified although I am an Approved NICEIC contractor.

Any help or guidance you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Have they considered that with an area power outage even with battery backup then they will still be without internet as local masts / exchange would probably also be affected so still would not be able to run their internet business

I can't help with a recommendation but Battery backup as a term normally is linked with storage of renewable energy / off grid but if you search for "Domestic UPS" then you will find exactly what you need but you would have to work out some figures of required usage and duration to work out amount of batteries required etc.

Hi Eddy,

I have discussed with them at length about the loss of power/data but according to them, when they lose power, they keep their mobile signal so I just have to go with what they say really.

I'm currently looking into the "SunSynk" range of battery systems of which there are quite a few! I didn't realise this subject was so complicated and involved! Almost like learning a new language! 😁

I think the most prudent thing to do would be to carry out an energy assessment first to ascertain their true usage and make further install decisions based off that data. Thanks for your input!

Reply to Client wants a battery back up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net