Discuss door entry system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

goldie

My mind has gone blank and cant seem to grasp the solution.
At the moment there is an existing door entry system in place and on the main door is an electronic lock release which can be opened externally via a fob or internally via handset button within the flats which energises the lock release to gain entry.
Problem is that the door is a little temperamental and cannot be altered, as the lock release isnt secure enough by itself we need something extra.
I am going to fit an electronic door magnet but as the electronic lock release is a normally open contact and proposed door mag is normally closed contact I cant simply tap power from lock release to feed door mag as they work on oppsite principles.
So I think a 12v dc relay is required so in normal state the lock has no power and the door mag has power and when we activate to open the door the lock energises and door mag de energises. I also need to add a push to exit button as the yale is the current way to open the door from inside.
Hope ive explained it clearly.
Anyway, anybody know which type of relay and method of wiring?
Thanks

Most systems have facility for both N/C and N/O circuits, you will also need to check push to exit switch has dual contacts....but this should all work ok....if you can give make and model, will be able to confirm.

Not sure what make is.
When I looked at the switch selector it had the option for n/o or n/c but I need both. N/o for lock release
N /c for magnet

I will look into the dual contact push to exit switch or can I just wire a normal one through a relay so it pushes to make circuit for door lock and pushes to break circuit for door mag?

Thinking outside the box now. Is there anything else that I can use that will work n/o same as door lock? Preferebly a mag lock of some kind.

you should have contacts on main controller with COM...N/C AND N/O at this time with rim lock it should be on N/O ....so you can just add mag to door rim cables, make exit button N/C...And move cable on controller to N/C.....If you get model, i will draw you a diagram

Thanks taz. I will be going back one day next week and I shall get all the details. I understand how your explaining it but maybe I missed the terminals as I only saw one selector switch for n/o or n/c.
Could I use a fail secure maglock via a push to exit switch? Do they exist?

Ok tazz. I will trace the existing strike lock cable back to source and hopefully find the comm no nc terminals etc. Could you pm me a contact number at all for when I get there if there are any other issues or for further guidance? If not then thanks for your help up to now.

Reply to door entry system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net