Discuss Door magnets not locking... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newbie90

Hi all,

Looked at a door which is locked via a magnet on the door frame and a metal plate on the door.

When the door is opened and left to shut on its own, the magnet energises and the door locks!

When the door is gently shut by a person, the door does not lock. However, it look like the door magnet and plate are physically touching,

Any ideas?

Cheers

Never had the situation you have described but usualy if they are not latching properly then the plate is slightly out of line with the magnet.
It may be that when the closer closes the door its slamming the plate into the magnet moving it slightly so it catches but not doing it enough when closed gently.

more likely that when the door closes gently, it's not energising the magnet's coil. might need the catch adjusting.

I adjusted the metal plate so that there is more play in it and it physical touches the magnet.

There's no catch on the door as its only locked by the magnet.

Stronger magnet required maybe? So if its not quite touching, then it will pull it in?

Did you try loosening it so it has a little movement in it?
You can test the magnet by taking the plate off and just offering it up to the magnet, watch your fingers though as it will snatch it out of your hands and you wont be able to pull it off if its working right!
Assuming it passes that test (which it should if its working ok) Then its just a case of getting it to line up properly.
Sometimes it can be a slow and painful process!
Personally I prefer the magnetic strikers as they are easier to install and look far neater :)

Yeah tried it on the loosest and tightest possible way!

The magnetic looks the same as this;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379265386.086746.jpg

Yeah they are the same as the ones we use.
I have never known one of them to weaken, they either work or they dont but if they are just slightly out of line then they dont grip.

Hold a piece of paper up against the magnet side, close the door gently and see if it traps the paper.

If not adjust the magnet out to the door or remove the plate on the door and pack it out with card or paper.

If this is the standard round type...there is a small plastic plug in the center, which needs to be push in by the steel plate.
If the magnet does not seem strong enough, the wrong psu may have been installed...a 24v dc door holder does not like 24v ac psu...just some things to look at along with other advice above

You should be able to put a screwdriver on the magnet and it should stick.

Its only supposed to unenergise the magnet long enough to open the door.

If it sticks then the plate on the door needs adjusting ( add another washer behind plate on the door so it sticks out a little more)

Reply to Door magnets not locking... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net