Search the forum,

Discuss Down lights install to lighting with no earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is it non compliant to install 240 V downlights to a lighting circuit with no earth when no earth connection is required at the downlight. A client is having his ceiling lowered and wants spots fitting which would be fire rated. Any advice appreciated. thanks

the regs state that a cpc should be provided at every accessory even if the accessory does not require a cpc

So you would be best to put the cpc in a wago / connector if your 230v downlights are double insulated

the regs state that a cpc should be provided at every accessory even if the accessory does not require a cpc

So you would be best to put the cpc in a wago / connector if your 230v downlights are double insulated
he ain't got a cpc in the cct. generally it is permissible to fit class II fittings to a circuit with no cpc, but it's debatable if you can do this as you are modifying the cct. and should add a cpc, even if you use a single core green/yellow.

Think you misread his post, he has no earth in the lighting circuit and wonders if its ok install double insulated downlighters which dont require an earth anyway.

apologies for misreading. As you are modifying the circuit you would be required to ensure that the existing luminaires in the circuit have a cpc if they require so

but if the luminaires are class II, does he need to install a cpc? i'm on the fence on this one.

telectrix i reckon morally he does. Even if the luminaires are class II he is modifying a circuit which does not have a cpc. Unless all fittings in circuit are class II (which is highly unlikely). If someone gets the 230 tango off of a fitting which aint earthed and they find out that this spark worked on the circuit last week questions will be asked. Also, if the circuit in question contains bathroom lighting you will have to ensure there is RCD protection for the circuit.

i would be inclined to agree with that. some silly sod might come along and fit metal fittings/switches. a bugger if the customer won't pay though , and you have to walk away.

very true sometimes you have to weigh up do i do the job or walk away but always better to cover your archie and run a green and yellow ane

Reply to Down lights install to lighting with no earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net