Discuss Dual RCD Split board with unprotected circuit with N wired into Main Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all. A friend of mine is looking to buy a house and got me to have a cursory look at the electrics for him. One thing seemed a little peculiar but i'm not sure whether or not it'd be deemed unsafe when he gets the EICR certificate done.

The Consumer Unit is a fairly recent looking BG Dual RCD one, with all the relevant labels and warning signs on it. However, it seems at some point, someone has added a separate surface mounted circuit (in trunking) for a Freezer (16A MCB, 2.5mm T&E). Since the board only has two Neutral bars, they've fed the Neutral for the freezer supply directly into the load side of the Main Switch Neutral terminal. Therefore to effectively isolate both poles, you have to turn the Main Switch off.

Ideally, they should've used a High Integrity board but will this be seen an 'improvement reccomended' code or something more drastic?

Last edited:
so where is the L for this circuit taken from? most recent BG boards are hi-integrity and have 3 N bars.

Would be a C3 for me, as to isolate both poles anyway you would need to operate the main switch in the first instance. were there any spare ways on the neutral bar on the side it was fed from?

Im with Tel here i use BG all the time and have not come across one with only 2 neutral bars they always have 3 , any chance of a picture so we can advise you better

So what you have is main switch with the added 16mm to an MCB then the one RCD then the circuits, then another RCD and the remaining circuits and the Neutral then goes to the neutral out side of the main switch

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have given it a c2 with the use of 16mm2, it's not good practice but also it isn't the manufacturers specifications.
Would it come under selection and erection of equipment? Could be way off

Reply to Dual RCD Split board with unprotected circuit with N wired into Main Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net