Discuss Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just shows you how long that service fuse has been in place. My parents house only had a 40A service fuse and a 40A meter for donkeys years. Then got updated out of the blue to 60A fuse and 100A meter. Later still, Mechanical meter replaced with digital meter and fuse/tails uprated to 80A/16mm....[/QUOTE]

and it held for all that time....

which begs me to ask what the point in this excercise was?

Non of your Chinese rubbish!

What happened to Brush Engineering?

I had the misfortune of installing one of their LV panels. Biggest pile of junk I’ve ever come across. So bad I got division engineering involved and we chucked all the outgoing switches away. Replaced them with System 4 gear.

What happened to Brush Engineering?

I had the misfortune of installing one of their LV panels. Biggest pile of junk I’ve ever come across. So bad I got division engineering involved and we chucked all the outgoing switches away. Replaced them with System 4 gear.
hmm..

well heres a famous product out of Brush`s loughborough works:

Class_47_'Prince_William'_NRM_Rail_200.jpg

and something from BR Derby....but with Brush electrical plant & gear:

Class_46_D182_at_Grosmont_10th_May_2008.jpg

each gave 30 years of good service...the only issues were with the Sulzer twin bank diesel engines they used

I've got a fantastic book, 'Diesel Traction. Manual for Enginemen', 1962, great book.

Also got one for 'Railway Steam Locomotive Enginemen'. More of Geordie's era. :)

I've got a fantastic book, 'Diesel Traction. Manual for Enginemen', 1962, great book.

Also got one for 'Railway Steam Locomotive Enginemen'. More of Geordie's era. :)

I have that one and I have "2750 - Legend Of A Locomotive" which is a fictional story about an A3 Class Gresley Pacific named "Papyrus" that I've seen many times written by H.C. Webster. (I think I have some for diesel as well but let's not go there!)

I first stumbled upon it in the school library and was so impressed with it I wanted to nick it!

It's a very rare book and a couple of years ago the idea popped into my head that I would like to read it again but nobody had ever heard of it. Somehow, by fair means or foul, Tidyboiler managed to find a copy for me.

It's so well written with some great drawings that it's possible to learn to drive a Gresley Pacific class from it and that's how at the tender age of 18 I ended up driving this:

P4165255.jpg

Just shows you how long that service fuse has been in place. My parents house only had a 40A service fuse and a 40A meter for donkeys years. Then got updated out of the blue to 60A fuse and 100A meter. Later still, Mechanical meter replaced with digital meter and fuse/tails uprated to 80A/16mm....

and it held for all that time....

which begs me to ask what the point in this excercise was?

No idea, no upgrades were ever asked for/requested. Not just my parants house, but the whole estate, street by street!! lol!! Talking about a period from 1952 through to 2005. It was around final year, they changed the meter for a digital one and upgraded the service fuse and the braided VIR 7/064 tails for 16mm....

No idea, no upgrades were ever asked for/requested. Not just my parants house, but the whole estate, street by street!! lol!! Talking about a period from 1952 through to 2005. It was around final year, they changed the meter for a digital one and upgraded the service fuse and the braided VIR 7/064 tails for 16mm....
it would have been interesting to have clamped the tails at full demand back then...

and again recently...

compare the results......

I have that one and I have "2750 - Legend Of A Locomotive" which is a fictional story about an A3 Class Gresley Pacific named "Papyrus" that I've seen many times written by H.C. Webster. (I think I have some for diesel as well but let's not go there!)

I first stumbled upon it in the school library and was so impressed with it I wanted to nick it!

It's a very rare book and a couple of years ago the idea popped into my head that I would like to read it again but nobody had ever heard of it. Somehow, by fair means or foul, Tidyboiler managed to find a copy for me.

It's so well written with some great drawings that it's possible to learn to drive a Gresley Pacific class from it and that's how at the tender age of 18 I ended up driving this:

P4165255.jpg
theres six of these in existance:

Mallard....a static display in the national railway museum York

Bittern...in steam at southall railway centre

Union of south africa
...in steam at thornton yard

Dominion of canada...a static display at the canadian railway museum

Dwight D eisenhower...a static display at national rail museum green bay wisconsin

Sir nigel gresley...in steam at north york moors railway

it would have been interesting to have clamped the tails at full demand back then...

and again recently...

compare the results......

Well i can tell you that while Mum & Dad where living there, hob cooking was always Gas, as was heating and hot water, eg shower!! Though i did install a power shower pump in the latter years... lol!! So it was never really a high usage property, especially after my sister and myself had left the house

Somehow, by fair means or foul, Tidyboiler managed to find a copy for me.

P4165255.jpg

Actually, Tidyboiler stayed up until 3.45 am bidding against some Cockney for this book!!! I had to sell my other kidney and firstborn to pay for it! :love:

Right you are, not to assume.
After obtaining some temporary seals from the DNO I looked inside the carrier and this is what I found.

Brush
30 Amp
60 LR
Certified
440V AC 4
BS88 - 1952
Class 3
Made in England

The print on the fuse had faded so there may be errors in the above info.

The DNO were contacted again and they're sending an engineer to address the issue.

Anyway, can anyone identify its breaking capacity?

I always put in 33kA... For main fuse.

i was working at a house yesterday and the earth was going into fuse , but not normaly where it goes to link at side... Would you still say YMCA

I always put in 33kA... For main fuse.

i was working at a house yesterday and the earth was going into fuse , but not normaly where it goes to link at side... Would you still say YMCA
Probably still TNCS yes, so long as it is not one of the cast iron heads that have the earth tagged to the head

If you have a neutral connected to an installations earth terminal (eg PME/TNC-S) then the incoming supply cables metallic sheath connection must be disconnected. Especially important where a supply cable is suppling both TN-S and TNC-S earthing arrangements!! eg, ....where the DNO cable is in the process of being PME'd....
emm? just wondering why?Does the sheath not need to be bonded too? I cant make out the writing on the service head,how do we know this presumably later conversion to TNC-S hasn't been done on the fly by mr diy sparky. I was thinking it could be left in place to be sure to be sure.

Just because you asked Archy

How it was explained to me at the EMEB collage.

Around each of the earth rods there will under earth fault conditions be a voltage gradient in the ground. In order for the MV and LV to be interconnected the LV earth electrode must be <2Ώ. Higher and the site is referred to by the DNO as hot and no direct MV→LV earth connection is allowed.
Therefore the LV earth has to be moved away from the MV equipment earth. This is to prevent a MV earth fault migrating to the LV system.

My drawing for OH supply
OHearthingzones_zps22959b1b.jpg

DNO drawing for ground mounted
Substation_zpscacb0f7a.jpg
I think these overhead earthing systems are being done away with due to copper theives leaving the rural customer without an earth

emm? just wondering why?Does the sheath not need to be bonded too? I cant make out the writing on the service head,how do we know this presumably later conversion to TNC-S hasn't been done on the fly by mr diy sparky. I was thinking it could be left in place to be sure to be sure.

Any exposed PILCS sheath to be wrapped in amalgamating tape. No problem mixing TT with TN, but it's not good Practice to mix Two Different types of TN systems....

Most DNO converted systems will be provided with a PME Warning Sticker. If in any doubt call the DNO to find out, just don't expect them to be quick in rushing round to check!! lol!!

Reply to Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net