Discuss Earthing Back Boxes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For years it has been a requirement to bond to metal back boxes with one fixed lug. In 2004 or 2005, an amendment to 16th then said as long as there was 1 fixed lug, the box need not be bonded, reliant on the faceplate pins to provide it's earth. Is this still current under the 17th? One of my concerns is that, when replacing plastic plate switches with metal ones ( brass / stainless ) these faceplates have an earth terminal which must be earthed, so does one take the existing earth off the back box and connect it to the faceplate, or bond from box to plate. it is common practice for decorators to undo sockets and switches so as to paint the wall, not the fitting or get wallpaper behind the faceplates. Obviously, when the screws are out, the box has no earth, so my thoughts are to bond both. CYA. What do my learned friends on here think?

Personally I would always take a bond to any metal back box even though there is now no need as stated. As for metallic faceplate I would have both bonded although the regs would only require the plate to be bonded. Good practice IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is common practice for decorators to undo sockets and switches so as to paint the wall, not the fitting or get wallpaper behind the faceplates. Obviously, when the screws are out, the box has no earth, so my thoughts are to bond both.

It is not the responsibility of the regs to safegaurd the decorator who decides to interfere with a live installation
He should isolate the equipment before removing,no different to ours, or anybody elses responsibility
The regs as they stand will give protection to the decorator who doesn't interfere,so they are sufficient, as is

In the real world though,the decorator will do as stated
If the cpc is taken to the faceplate of a class 1 item and a tail returned to the back box,we are then giving protection over and above whats required,that protection will be better than the regs, and will protectr the decorator from his naughty practices :)

that was my point entirely. from the decorator's point of view, he can't decorate in the winter afternoons with the lights isolated. This is why I myself prefer to bond the boxes. "Think of the worst and the worst will happen"

I always link the earth to the back box from the plate. Have always done it and find it impossible to break the habit after all these years of doing it despite what the regs say

Never have and Never will.....havent got time....not required. However i always do supplementary bonding in kitchens and bathrooms,and of boilers...even if not required by 17th edition! and that takes a lot longer!! Old habits and all that.....

Never have and Never will.....havent got time....not required. However i always do supplementary bonding in kitchens and bathrooms,and of boilers...even if not required by 17th edition! and that takes a lot longer!! Old habits and all that.....

Obviously more money to be made carrying out unnecessary bonding unless you do it for free:(:confused:, otherwise I don't understand the first part of your post when you will spend so much time doing the bonding in the kitchen and bathroom

Care to explain why you consider it worthwhile wasting your time and your customers money carrying out unnesessary bonding in the kitchen and of boiler.....whats the thinking?....so the "pipes dont come live"?

Reply to Earthing Back Boxes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net