Discuss EICR Communal area limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for a bit of guidance here. Asking from Landlords perspective.
To carry out an EICR of the Landlords communal areas, would the inspector include all the sub mains to the individual (3) Flats, which originate from cupboard in the communal area?
Would the inspector include fixed wiring that passes through the communal area, but originates from within a flat?
From memory, there is a 3 phase supply into one large meter cupboard.
From here distributes to individual meters, then switchgear, then T&E submains to each flat.

I know Landlords supply and CU will need inspection, just concerned about the rest of the installation and dont want to fall foul of Fire Safety Order and other legislation.

If it was entirely up to me i would cover the lot but unfortunately others are involved who will look for cheapest option....

TIA

Andy

The extent and limitations of any inspection are usually agreed between the person ordering the work and the inspector before the inspection.
Make sure everything you want is included. A good reason to include every circuit is that insurance could possibly be void if a situation arose from a fault occurring on an untested circuit.
The legal duty of care for the safety of all residents and visitors must also be considered.

The extent and limitations of any inspection are usually agreed between the person ordering the work and the inspector before the inspection.
Make sure everything you want is included. A good reason to include every circuit is that insurance could possibly be void if a situation arose from a fault occurring on an untested circuit.
The legal duty of care for the safety of all residents and visitors must also be considered.

Indeed, good points and thankyou.
I was also hoping for some legislation anybody had come across which mandated this, a good stick to wave at the others.

Indeed, good points and thankyou.
I was also hoping for some legislation anybody had come across which mandated this, a good stick to wave at the others.

I would imagine the landlord and tenant act and the housing act would be the places to look for legal responsibilities.

From July this year though electrical safety checks will become mandatory for rented accommodation in England.

The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is: safe when a tenancy begins and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.

Elecsa have produced the attached guide which may help.

Attachments

• Landlords-Guide-to-Electrical-Safety-May-2011_01.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Thankyou
It's a tricky one as doesn't actually classify as domestic.

I'll keep digging

Thanks for the input Gents

A
Stupid question; why wouldn't it? I appreciate it's a business in the sense of money for services but that service is housing therefore should fall into domestic, like your HMOs or private rented properties etc

I don't think the definition of these dwellings has any bearing to any of the mentioned requirements and responsibility for safety

Indeed.
The fact it isn't domestic means we are unable to apply the Landlords guide referenced above.
As you mentioned previously, the over riding factor is the duty of care to visitors, residents, and, of course, trespassers.
I think under the property RA the need for a full EICR should be stipulated. (I appear to have answered my own question!)
PS - @Lister1987 Its classed as a place of work, Fire safety order classes it as commercial

Thanks to all for the input
A

Indeed.
The fact it isn't domestic means we are unable to apply the Landlords guide referenced above.
As you mentioned previously, the over riding factor is the duty of care to visitors, residents, and, of course, trespassers.
I think under the property RA the need for a full EICR should be stipulated. (I appear to have answered my own question!)
PS - @Lister1987 Its classed as a place of work, Fire safety order classes it as commercial

Thanks to all for the input
A

Rubbish. The legislation around rented accommodation does not distinguish between definitions of domestic or commercial, just whether it is rented or not.
A fire safety order does not change the fact that poeple who do not own the property live there in exchange for money paid to the property owner.

Rubbish. The legislation around rented accommodation does not distinguish between definitions of domestic or commercial, just whether it is rented or not.
A fire safety order does not change the fact that poeple who do not own the property live there in exchange for money paid to the property owner.

An interesting view. But you are Wrong.
The Regulatory Reform (fire safety) order 2005 only applies to non domestic premises.
Communal areas are non domestic premises.
Under long leasehold law, my flat is not rented, it is a leasehold property.
The Landlord has no right to insist on an EICR, it doesn't fall under the fire safety order, as the property is demised to me for 999 years
Therefore the above cannot be applied.
HOWEVER
Common areas DO come under commercial and the fire safety order applies.
[automerge]1580504126[/automerge]

Take a look here

Reply to EICR Communal area limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net