Discuss EICR for flat built in 2007: downlights deemed as C2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

I've contacted a couple of landlord in the same block, and neither has mentioned that they had to change their spotlights. One invoice from them lists the faults below.

Now I am concerned that my report might have be done incorrectly. Is it possible for these faults to be unique to a specific flat or would they be related to the original installation?
How many flats are there in the block? If it's in a large block then it's likely that they are all the originally installed downlights. It's just possible that yours have been replaced since with inappropriate ones, but that seems unlikely. (have you had the flat since new?)

Is there a management company? If so it may be worth seeing if they can confirm whether the plasterboard ceilings are a fire barrier or not, or whether the flats were built with each flat separated. (Probably won't have a clue, but might be worth asking anyway!)

There may well be benefit in fitting Fire rated downlights anyway of course - but that's a separate issue from being required -

Is it possible to determine the model of the existing lights? To see whether they are already fire rated - it isn't always obvious from the front and not all inspectors will have remove them to check.

To be honest, many electricians won't fancy the job of replacing 21 downlights as it can be tedious and fiddly, so they may be upping the quote to allow for that. There is also an extra demand at the moment because of the 1st April deadline.

You may well find going to a smaller firm (but one still appropriately registered or competent) will get you a better price - just be sure they do know what they are doing and can produce appropriate documentation at the end of the job for your records.

It’s unlikely the ceiling will form part of the fire compartment. Very poor design if so.

I had a similar job to do an eicr after a similar report recently. Took downlight out and saw the concrete above the suspended ceiling. No code.

Funny thing is the landlord got me to change the lights anyway and informed the agent that I should be contacted in the first instance for all further work at the flat.

People just want you to be honest most of the time. Even if it costs them money. Most people can smell BS a mile off.

It’s unlikely the ceiling will form part of the fire compartment. Very poor design if so.

I had a similar job to do an eicr after a similar report recently. Took downlight out and saw the concrete above the suspended ceiling. No code.

Funny thing is the landlord got me to change the lights anyway and informed the agent that I should be contacted in the first instance for all further work at the flat.

People just want you to be honest most of the time. Even if it costs them money. Most people can smell BS a mile off.
This is how flats are designed concrete compartmentation so this needs to be established before hundreds of pounds are wasted.

I have spoken to the firm I contacted today. They seem to have a much more professional setup than the first guy and they are super local.

He explained that the quote is for a whole day of work.

As a note to the observations there is no such thing as an 18th Ed consumer unit.
There must be - Screwfix sell them! ? (Actually, so do CEF disappointingly)

Every flat from around that age I've been in has Tenby branded CUs with LeGrand switchgear.

I have spoken to the firm I contacted today. They seem to have a much more professional setup than the first guy and they are super local.

He explained that the quote is for a whole day of work.
21 downlights might well end up taking a day - might be worth seeing if they will come and look for a proper quote (or even arrange a reasonable callout charge for their time) as they may well be able to determine quickly whether they are needed or not.

Reply to EICR for flat built in 2007: downlights deemed as C2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net