Discuss EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Been asked to do a few EICR's recently and just wondered how other guys go about doing certain things....
How much do you charge? Per circuit, for the report etc....
How much time (roughly) do you spend on each circuit?
I've not done 2391 or equivalent but am considering it, does this course go into detail on EICR procedure (I already know how to do testing obviously)
If the installation is generally very good but you find a few unsatisfactorys on inspection, do you issue the client an unsatisfactory report then do the repairs then fill out another bloody 7 page report that is satisfactory. If so do you charge them for the second report aswell.
I did one recently that was all good except for one outside lighting circuit so I just disconncted it, put a note on the front page of the cert and issued a satisfactory report.
What would the recommended interval between EICR's be for:
Owned dwelling
Rented dwelling
Communal area (flats staircase)
Commercial (shop)
Industrial

Would you consider all of the following to be C3's?
C/U labelled incorrectly
No brown/blue sleeving
No warning stickers

If you are inspecting an installation say pre 17th ed would you put N/A next to the box that asks about mechanical protection/RCD for cables in walls. Same question for RCD's on socket outlets on a pre 16th installation.

Sorry for so many questions guys but I think its definitely an area where many of us have room for improvement. Any input would be much appreciated.

1) go for £25 per circuit
2) as long as it takes to satisfy yourself the circuit is good for continued service
3) the 2391 is a way of proving competence.....it is not a requirement however to carry out EICRs..
4) what does the client want....a landlord certificate....or a report?
5) did you gain permission first from the person ordering the test to disconnect the outside lighting?..you could have created a dangerous situation by disconnecting the outside light.

A very good place to start would be to download the ESC best practice guide.
http://www.esc.org.uk/industry/industry-guidance/best-practice-guides/

Really helped me out before I did my first one.

Recommended intervals are in guidance note 3.

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming, but I'll leave that to people with more experience in periodic testing than myself .

Been asked to do a few EICR's recently and just wondered how other guys go about doing certain things....
How much do you charge? Per circuit, for the report etc.... I would now charge 15-18 per circuit domestic and 20-25 for commercial/industrial. But I think set rate days are possibly over. To win business I think you have to be flexible, take each installation as it comes, and price on age, condition etc etc

How much time (roughly) do you spend on each circuit? I always set a limit on commercial/industrial of 45 minutes for a circuit, as often you need to trace them out. After that 45 minute period if I could not identify it completely it would be marked down as a Limitation. On domestic you really should have no problems.

I've not done 2391 or equivalent but am considering it, does this course go into detail on EICR procedure (I already know how to do testing obviously) The new 2394, and 2395 is the options now. The 2395 I believe is more geared towards the EICR

If the installation is generally very good but you find a few unsatisfactorys on inspection, do you issue the client an unsatisfactory report then do the repairs then fill out another bloody 7 page report that is satisfactory. If so do you charge them for the second report aswell.If you issue an unsatisfactory report then that is how it remains. The report should itemize what is unsatisfactory. If you then go on to do the remedial's you should issue either relevant paperwork for them ie EIC, MEIWC, or a covering letter outlining the work you have completed

I did one recently that was all good except for one outside lighting circuit so I just disconncted it, put a note on the front page of the cert and issued a satisfactory report.
What would the recommended interval between EICR's be for:
Owned dwelling 10 yrs
Rented dwelling 10 yrs or change of occupancy
Communal area (flats staircase) 10 yrs
Commercial (shop) 5-10yrs
Industrial 5-10yrs
​All above though is really down to so many factors, age, condition, environment etc

Would you consider all of the following to be C3's?
C/U labelled incorrectly
No brown/blue sleeving
Yes

If you are inspecting an installation say pre 17th ed would you put N/A next to the box that asks about mechanical protection/RCD for cables in walls. Same question for RCD's on socket outlets on a pre 16th installation. This again would be dependent on environment and if you assessed the situation. Cables buried and not RCD protected I would no code anything. For ground floor sockets that could feed equipment outside I may code that a 2,

Sorry for so many questions guys but I think its definitely an area where many of us have room for improvement. Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers Glen
3) What I was getting at was..would the actual training be usefeul for EICR's not the bit of paper I get at the end
4) Lets assume its a landlord. What is a landlord certificate?
5) Yes. TBH I only actually disconnected part of the circuit that had 6 carpark lights 5 of which had blown lamps. I will be rectifiying soon. There are still plenty of working outside lights. Didn't fancy filling out the whole bloody report again next week but I see your point.

Cheers Glen
3) What I was getting at was..would the actual training be usefeul for EICR's not the bit of paper I get at the end
4) Lets assume its a landlord. What is a landlord certificate?
5) Yes. TBH I only actually disconnected part of the circuit that had 6 carpark lights 5 of which had blown lamps. I will be rectifiying soon. There are still plenty of working outside lights. Didn't fancy filling out the whole bloody report again next week but I see your point.
well a `landlord certificate` is...well, an EICR...but a clean bill of health.....
so what you would do is note (seperately on a bit of paper) any non-conformances and the like that you find....and bring it to the attention of the person ordering the inspection & test....this way any remedials can be carried out before the EICR is handed in.....
landlords just want a clean ticket basically.

An inspection is an unknown quantity.
It could take a couple of hours, or it could take a couple of days.
Because of this, I would allways allow for at least one day, and would not book any other work for the day I had booked for the inspection.
As such I would charge a day's money for the inspection.
If I could not complete the inspection within the day, and to return. I would then charge another day for the return visit.
On one job to test 8 circuits, I decided to take 2 days as there were 4 circuits at each end of the building, and I didn't fancy walking between the two ends.
In the end, I booked 10 days, as it took so long to obtain a permit to work.
8 days sitting around doing sod all.

Reply to EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net