Discuss Electric heating system question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pt elec

Hi guys, I am looking for a bit of info on an installation I have recently been to look at that has puzzled me because I dont understand how it works. Hope someone can give me the answer to this one as it has going through my mind for months trying to figure it out. The situation is this.

It is a block of quite new appartments, all have electric panel heaters (on average 6 x 2.5kw) in each appartment.
Each appartment has its own supply (1 x con unit for power and lighting etc, I will call this BD1 and another con unit for electric heaters DB2)

My question is:-
Con unit DB2 (heaters) has a contactor and 6 x 16 amp MCB's, each feeding electric panel heaters as you would expect, but this Consumer unit is fed from DB1 on a 16amp MCB with 2.5mm twin & earth cable into the supply side of the contactor in DB2.
The contactor is switched from a programmer (no problem, all works fine).

What I need to know is why the 16 amp MCB in DB1 feeding the contactor in DB2 on 2.5mm Twin & Earth cable does not trip due to the overload when all 6 heaters are running ??
There is no other supply i.e tails etc in DB2 taking the load after the contactor has kicked in !! It is all on the 16amp MCB and the 2.5mm cable from DB1.

How is this possible ??

Not that it makes any difference to my question but there are about 30 appartments within this block, I have been into maybe half of these and all are wired the same and work fine.
Thanks in advance.

No sorry, never thought to take any pics whilst I was there. If and when I go back to do any repairs I will take some pics of the set up of both boards and post.
Thanks anyway.

Only thing I can think of immediately would be some play between the current / time curve for the MCB versus diversity on all those panels, but it's highly unlikely if they're all kicking on together. BGB says a 16A 60898 will cope with 30A for around 200 secs, so it MIGHT just be holding long enough whilst all the thermostats fire on/off.

Sounds like a bizarre set-up, regardless.

Sounds like a good theory, but the panel heaters do not have their own thermostats. The wireless heating controller / thermostat controls everything, which is located in the hallway.

Biizarre set up? yep, new one to me but works ??

Thanks.

Reply to Electric heating system question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net