Search the forum,

Discuss Electric roller door motor help. in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Any chance of it being a two speed motor?
Is it one of them high speed doors?
What is the manufacture and model?

What do you measure between U2 and W2? 18 ohms?

whitebeetle; said:
There are 3 contactors only in the panel , k1,k2 and k3. Looking at the 'working door' before removing the motor , when the door is selected down , only k2 comes in , when selected up k1 and k2 come in together. The motor is Electromaten SI4/8.85/165.35,00 which i now believe to be a two speed motor.

The outgoing side of k3 has its three terminals all linked together. The door should operate upwards at full speed and downwards at a lower speed hence two contactors are in on the way up.

Now i have simply replaced the motor onto the 6 original terminals and the motor goes downwards (close) regardless of wether i press in k1 or k2. if i press k1 and k3 (up) then the motor buzzers as if it is stalling. I cannot see what is wrong now the motor has been replaced (knowing it is a good motor).
Anyone help ?

TwoSpeed.jpg

http://www.wiringmanual.com/motor052.html
- start with this info.

Low speed = supply via K2 to U1, V1 and W1 with UVW2 open.
High speed = supply via K1 to U2, V2 and W2 with UVW1 shorted or starred in K3.

Does the supply for the motor come from a dedicated board with plug in connections?

What resistances did you measure with the 'replacement' motor windings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , Many Thanks.
The supply to the motor comes from a circuit board with screw terminals where the motor wires go. The door is manufactured by Crawford and is a high speed door , i am not sure of the model as there is no more info on it.
Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for coming back with info. The more you give the better the help...well, that's the aim!

This subject is not really something I'm familiar on but we'll get there.

Any of these? High speed doors for fast action

On the original motor the direction didn't change. This time its doing the same but in the other direction. Try interchanging UVW1 with UVW2 and also two wires to the up side of the motor in order to change DoR.

If it continues to run in only one direction then perhaps something else is sending it in that direction, any chance the control board decides the direction?

Definitely check the contact continuity of each of the contactors K1 and K2!

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't be connected correctly.
It sounds as if you need to swop over two of the conductors connected to one of the up contactors.
You say that when you press in K1 and K3 together, the motor just buzzes.
This would suggest that one contactor is attempting to drive the motor in one direction, and the other contactor in the other direction.
As both K1 and K2 drive the motor in the same direction, and when K1 and K3 are pressed together the motor buzzes, I would suggest swopping round the conductors connected to K1, so that when K1 is pressed the motor direction is reversed.
I don't understand why when up is selected K2 operates, to my mind it should be k1 and k3 together for up and K2 on it's own for down.

Did you have a look at the web site I posted? There are three ways of connecting these motors. If you are using reversing you need four contactors.

From experience I can tell you they are swine’s when they go wrong. We used them as reversing constant torque on a crane. Your using the variable torque connection.

If you are using reversing you need four contactors.

This is why I asked if the control board could reverse a phase, as the OP said the motor supply comes off this board.

The other thought... as this motor turns one way in high speed (UP) and one way in low speed (DN) then can the motor be wired with lines interchanged on one side of windings?

I've not done much with two-speed motors other than dahlanders on Baltimore Air Coils, almost 10 years ago. Inverters have boomed during these last sixteen years of my learning!

can you post me a picture of the motor and starter panel and chech if theres and safety devices on the door ive been workin on industrial doors for the past 11 years and crawfords are the most problematic as they are designed to go wrong and getting spare parts off them is nearly impossible

Been asked to recommision a campisa door today by the plant manager. I've done as requested and it works for now. But this reverses off the board and I've had similar confusing faults. I think, Tony has said, don't get to bogged down with testing. get more involved with how it should function.

As jonesy has said, I worked on this door for nine years and its garbage. We've since had a door, I assume we are talking about fast acting doors, from fenbay services and its, over the year been excellent.

Reply to Electric roller door motor help. in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net