Discuss Electrical help needed please!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JaiS

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and having some issues with some very old wiring while rewiring the house.

Here is the problem...

We have just upgraded. My consumer unit from a very old wylex unıt with the old fuse wıre as the lights went off randomly and was advised by many electricians to upgrade unıt so it meets new regs.

We have noticed theres no PME at all from maın feed into the house and have wıred all up to correct fuses but still no lights, checked all terminal boxes under floorboard and all wıres still connected

Also the cooker everytime I try and switch oven or hob on this also trips the whole consumer unıt out any help?

Electrıcian has been in and cannot figure out what the problem is

Also wen trying to rewıre a new lighting circuit we came into a lot of old 1977 wiring which runs throughout the house but to nothing. Yet it still connected to the current ones so cannot figure out were they're coming from!

Electrıcıan has spent nearly 4 hours with an electro reader and cannot locate as they go to the ring maın and he said this ıs dangerous as it means I have a freeflow live any ideas??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as there must be a solution to this.

Thanks

Jai

First of all, some testing should of been carried out before the new cu install. This would of picked up any faults or issues on your circuits. Secondly, Im not quite sure what you mean by "No PME"?? If you mean there is no main earth from the service head and its a TNCS, then you need to call the DNO asap....if however its a TT, then its up to you to supply an earth, via a rod/electrode.
If you have an electrician already looking into it and your not happy with him, or he's cannot advise you properly, then get another electrician in for a second opinion.

Jay

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and having some issues with some very old wiring while rewiring the house.Welcome jais

Here is the problem...

We have just upgraded. My consumer unit from a very old wylex unıt with the old fuse wıre as the lights went off randomly and was advised by many electricians to upgrade unıt so it meets new regs.A modern consumer unit is usually an improvement,but should not be used as fault finding remedy

We have noticed theres no PME at all from maın feed into the house note Jaysparks post and have wıred all up to correct fuses but still no lights,confusing use of terms and not to be unexpected with regard my opening comment on fault finding checked all terminal boxes under floorboard and all wıres still connected Were they disconnected by yourself for some reason in the first instance

Also the cooker everytime I try and switch oven or hob on this also trips the whole consumer unıt out any help? Pre tests before changing the consumer unit could have shown this problem initially,could be connected wrong at CU or cable installation or appliance fault

Electrıcian has been in and cannot figure out what the problem is I can't figure out why the electrician can't figure out

Also wen trying to rewıre a new lighting circuit we came into a lot of old 1977 wiring which runs throughout the house but to nothing. Yet it still connected to the current ones so cannot figure out were they're coming from! Experienced competent electricians could and would resolve these sort of issues,1977 wiring may not be any sort of problem regards cable degradation

Electrıcıan has spent nearly 4 hours with an electro reader ? and cannot locate as they go to the ring maın and he said this ıs dangerous as it means I have a freeflow live any ideas?? I don't have a clue what that sentence means but any competent spark would generally clear any faults in the time used

Any help would be greatly appreciated as there must be a solution to this. There is I am happy to report, but you may not be happy with the answer

Thanks

Jai

I have doubts about the competence of the electrician currently engaged.I would suggest seeking assistance elsewhere

I also cannott understand why you need investigate this matter yourself,the electrician engaged should remove any or all of your concerns with ease by taking responsibility for his own applied skills

Sounds like this has been approached from the wrong end, as previously said inspection precedes testing and testing precedes any change or proposed change to the installation, you then should be given a report as what needs to be done, there is NO shortcut to this as you said there appears to be live "wires" going nowhere this would scare the bejabbers outa me,get out the yellow pages and get a qualified electrician in, or, I am sure there is a forum member near you, Its pretty hard to give advice on how to catch a cat once its out the bag,
Pict

So after the consumer unit was fitted the electrician has switched all circuits on without any testing?.Has he provided any form of electrical installation certificate?.If he/she has changed it over then they HAVE to leave all circuits connected in a safe to use manner,they took 4 hours and could not trace a fault.A qualified and competent electrician would get to the route of these problems with minimal fuss.It may be an idea to get someone else in.

Having read the post over it seems that way,but the advice offered is all the same,consult a qualified electrician.

Sounds like they did their own electrics "coz it's not rocket science", then things went wrong, so they called in an electrician who is baffled...

Reply to Electrical help needed please!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net