Discuss Electricians mates vs. Ltd co. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know that I'm just fresh in here, but....we all have to start somewhere.
This post is directed mostly to Spark mates/improvers who can share some of their knowledge and experience with "going" LTD.
Yes, yes, I have seen threads about CIS (used to do some time through CIS), about that how agencies are bad and Umbrela (ultimate scam)...don't let me even start.

If it's possible, I would like to ask you people, how does it go with LTD for spark mates?
I realize that system, agencies etc try to discourage people going this way, because it is more complicated than CIS because you need accountant(it really is recommended), insurance etc. But I also know that, they are afraid that more and more people will go Ltd and the tap with warm blood of honest people will dry out.

I have an idea about opening Ltd co. opening business bank acc. my main concern is with business insurance. I have asked about it and that is what they require from spark mate (for one of the contracts):

-Employers Liability : £10M - well, my Ltd would be only me director who employ meself....don't think it is actually possible to get eployers liability insurance if I do not employ anybody but myself?

-Public Liability: £2M - that's not a problem, standard I would say.

-Professional Indemnity: £2M - this option is only available to buy with insurance, when you answer YES to question: "Do you offer advice, design or certification in your business activities".
Now big problem as always is .....money, insurance with Professional Indemnity put your insurance premium sky high.
Agencies won't hire any mate/improver through CIS because apparently, we only work under supervision :tearsofjoy:, and from mate working through own Ltd they want us to do what fully qualified sparks do?

Is that practise (Professional Indemnity) a standard for Ltd mates , or it depend on a contract for different jobs?

That is my main concern which holds me back from going Ltd.

If any of you could put some inside and own experience to the subject, that would be great.
Also if any of you fellow Electricians mates/improvers and fully qualified Electricians, encountered other worrying aspects of going Ltd, please comment. I believe that forum will only enrich with your advice:blush:

Thank you all

Ps. Quite a subject as for first post :tearsofjoy:

Ok, you will only need Public Liability.
If the Agencies say different, then it’s just because they don’t want to use you through a LTD company.
You’re a mate so not qualified.
This means your advice as an unqualified person, legally holds no more weight than that of any other unqualified person.
If you do decide to go LTD, you should also steer clear of an agencies that want you to be paid through a payroll company.
The agency excuse of IR35 doesn’t work for LTD companies.

@spinlondon thanks for info.
have you ever seen anything like that ?
"Our records show that we don’t have confirmation that you wish to opt out of ‘The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003’."
is this what you are talking about with IR35 ?

Hmm. No not really.
Agencies have for some time now used IR35 as an excuse not to pay direct. Their reason being: that they would have to employ you after a couple of months.
Instead they pay through pay roll companies which they invariably own, and charge a fee.

It's not a news, that they want squeeze from people as much as they can.
Is there any way to fight it, or we can just try, and tell them that we are not OK with payment through pay roll companies?
For most cases, that would probably mean: we just do not take the job, and keep looking...

I think all agencies now use payroll companies.
Only way round them is to go LTD.
I tried for a year, but there was too much paperwork for me.
Other option is to try to work direct for companies.

@spinlondon & @SWD , thanks for your suggestions ;)
If I understand correctly, despite that being on your own in your Ltd, having Tax return from every year (extra money), not paying double NIC for agencies and extra £15-£25 from each week pay (well that's how much accountant would cost me, but Ltd can deduct their costs), actually Ltd can claim nearly everything except corporate TAX...

is it still better to go through Umbrela on a mates wages average gross £500-£540 a week? and not being able to claim any travel expenses, because that is what I hear from agencies.

When I worked in IT the guys under Umbrella rules would upload receipts for travel and subsistence but that was a few years back and I know HMRC have tightened down, if you are on £500 per week there is no point in going limited you need to be on about £40k to make it worthwhile now, yes you can claim for loads of stuff I claimed for computer equipment an office at home travel, lunch, a couple of biles, £125 per year for a Christmas outing and even a Christmas tree for the "office" which was in my house........

@spinlondon I think SWD just shortened the story. As he said, he used to run through Ltd and he can see more sense in doing that with higher turnover, about £40k.
I still see other benefits from running own business, even with small difference on + overall, just for a reason, all NIC payments go to MY pensions scheme, not someone in the middle.
Hope that will make more sense.

I don’t think you quite understand SWD.
Umbrella means paying Tax, NI, employers NI and the payroll company fee.
Ltd means just paying 20% CIS tax
I have a LTD company, going Umbrella means that you are technically self employed working as PAYE and being screwed over by the agency.

I have a LTD company, going Umbrella means that you are technically self employed working as PAYE and being screwed over by the agency.
Yes.
The OP could save himself somewhere in the region of £170 - £180 per week by going Ltd.
Less whatever his fees for being Ltd would be.

@SWD I understand, maybe that what I could save for 7 working day week.
But still, even if from standard week I could save £50 a week, that's gives me £200 a month, which is at least £2k a year...
Now, for me as a Spark mate it is good money, maybe for some people it isn't worth a hassle, but I bet that for most of people it would be, even if I would spend it on charity rather than sponsor some Umbrella bosses.

On a wage of £540 pw?
£90 to £100 a day is a bit low I agree.
I’ve seen adverts for Mates for £150 to £180 per day.

My first pay slip or remittance advice under the Umbrella scheme for £135 per day showed my gross as being £602.
That’s £675 less the payroll fee and the Employer’s NI.

@SWD I understand, maybe that what I could save for 7 working day week.
But still, even if from standard week I could save £50 a week, that's gives me £200 a month, which is at least £2k a year...
Now, for me as a Spark mate it is good money, maybe for some people it isn't worth a hassle, but I bet that for most of people it would be, even if I would spend it on charity rather than sponsor some Umbrella bosses.
Setting up a company etc etc then having to file returns, accountancy fee's soon all add's up. Have a proper look in to it the best way it to speak to an accountant and not a load of grumbling old sparks ;o)))))

Reply to Electricians mates vs. Ltd co. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock