Discuss Electrician's mate vs improver vs electrician - what's the difference? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrics

Esteemed
Reaction score
I see mates jobs asking for quals and duties to include pulling cables, termination, chasing, patching, snagging, fixing issues, basically everything except testing and inspection.

So what is a mate really and how is it different from a bonafide electrician? Is it just the qualifications? Because the jobs seem almost identical to me.

What about an 'improver'? Where does he fit in?

A good electricians mate to me is someone who is well capable of carrying out electrical works but doesn't have the qualifications.

Electrician is qualified.

Improver is an adult apprentice.
That's the thing though, lots of adverts are now asking for qualifications for mates.

Some that i've seen just today:

• Stripping Out
  • First and second fixing of electrics
  • Containment installation
  • Data installation
  • Commercial installation experience essential.
    • ECS
    • ECS Gold
    • IPAF
    • CIS Registered
  • Essential Requirements: Gold JIB / ECS Card
Sounds like a load of stuff an electrician needs tbh.

But adverts for mates ask for knowledge, experience and qualifications now.
So you need quals, knowledge and experience, the experience may not mean electrical experience, could be any jobs you have held whilst looking for a n Electricians Mate job, it all counts in my opinion, there may be detractors, but I held interviews for all sorts so I have some experience.

Wouldn't have thought anyone with a sparks card would apply for a mates job
perhaps the OP feels he needs more on sit experience so he wants a Mates post to gain a bit more knowledge, before applying for a Sparks job if so that's the right move IMO FWIW. No good trying to run before you can walk

perhaps the OP feels he needs more on sit experience so he wants a Mates post to gain a bit more knowledge, before applying for a Sparks job if so thats the right move IMO FWIW.
True, but the way I'm looking at it is if they're asking for all the same qualifications as a spark and stating you need to be able to carry out the same scope of works, you might aswell apply for the sparks position and get paid more

perhaps the OP feels he needs more on sit experience so he wants a Mates post to gain a bit more knowledge, before applying for a Sparks job if so that's the right move IMO FWIW. No good trying to run before you can walk
I'm an apprentice :)

Just wondering why i keep seeing job postings for basically 'everything a normal electrician does at work' but the posting is calling it a 'mate' position and paying £14 an hour.

That's the thing though, lots of adverts are now asking for qualifications for mates.

Some that i've seen just today:

• Stripping Out
  • First and second fixing of electrics
  • Containment installation
  • Data installation
  • Commercial installation experience essential.
    • ECS
    • ECS Gold
    • IPAF
    • CIS Registered
  • Essential Requirements: Gold JIB / ECS Card
Sounds like a load of stuff an electrician needs tbh.
A JIB (ECS) Gold card is only available to qualified Electricians. So this "mate" is required to be a fully qualified Electrician.

Reply to Electrician's mate vs improver vs electrician - what's the difference? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net