Discuss Emergency Maintained Lighting Problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jbooth

we have numerous circular bulkhead fittings within our community building. They are 28w 3 hour maintained units. The problem is one unit is not working when switched on, and at first just assumed it was the bulb, so changed that, and still nothing, however when run in emergency test mode the bulbs illuminates dim as normal. Does anybody know any common problems that this could be to fix the problem

many thanks

thanks for the reply. Would replacing the ballast be easy to do or what would be the likely costs for supply or supply and fit by an electrician.

emergency backup will prob have 'electronic ballast '

sometimes you may need an 'exact' replacement with light fittings-and a repair may be handier

it's not rocket science we're talkin here

Last edited by a moderator:
your right Dave, its not rocket science, i fitted a brand new model last week (cheap one), with no electronic ballast, just tube and starter, with small pcb, and im sure youll agree a starter is a starter, no need for 'exact' replacement, say 4-65W?
on the other hand you may be correct, i hate HF ballasts, just dont want the op to buy a new fitting when he just needs a starter.

replacement fitting generally

but still-nice to able to repair when the need arises

you could train a 'chimp' to replace fittings:)

my experience with fittings is basically get some new tubes and try. If no joy, find a same fitting and try "them new" tubes in that fitting and the known working tubes in your questionable fitting. Basically if the questionable fitting still aint working with the known tubes and the new tubes defo work in the other fitting, chances are its the ballast if it's HF.
Main issue im having with all my fittings is the ballast/fittings are all wired in parallel. Meaning everytime a ballast fails, i've gotta get a new fitting (which isnt exactly cheap as everyone makes out) or re-wire the old fitting to accept a series wired ballast. Pain in the **** :(
I've yet to find a faulty EM unit as even though the ballast i've worked with have gone wrong, the EM function still seems to work. But its seems such a chew on fiddling with EM fittings its defo easier and better time wise to just change the fitting

dave, just read post 8 again, do you know what an electronic ballast is?? its not a backup device for emergency lighting? so do you?? replacement fitting?? telll me more.

Reply to Emergency Maintained Lighting Problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net