Discuss Exploding towel rail ... really ..? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Went to back to second fix a bathroom today..

Customer had fitted a towel rail on the wall etc.

He mentioned that he struggled to get a towel rail as the bloke in the plumb center said " any water filled towel rails with just an element and are not plumbed into the central heating system need a separate bleed off pipe otherwise they are liable to explode ?" Customer has ended up paying ÂŁ250 for the smallest rail I have ever seen about 300mm x 700mm, apparently its filled with some 'special stuff' , not oil or water ? Strange

Is there any truth in this? new one on me... have fitted quite a few water filled not plumbed ones over the years, and no explosions yet

Cheers Sy

Surely that would only apply if the water were to start boiling???? Towels rails ain't the best for good heat output so I cant see that happening. I have never heard of this, sounds like a good sales tactic though.

Never heard of exploded tower rail. The only ''special'' thing you use with water ones is inhibitor to protect it from inside from corrosion and scale and it does work absolutely fine.

when you fill these radiators you are meant to leave about 5-10% air for expansion, if filled to the brim the water cannot expand with out bursting the radiator.

when you fill these radiators you are meant to leave about 5-10% air for expansion, if filled to the brim the water cannot expand with out bursting the radiator.

I bought one from B&Q about four years ago. That recommended it be 80% full to allow for expansion. We filled it to 90% with boiling water, guarantee there'll still be plenty of room left regardless of how hot it gets that way. ;)

Reply to Exploding towel rail ... really ..? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net