Discuss Extending engine ignition into the rear of the van. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tallman41

DIY
Reaction score
Hi auto-leckies,

This is a DIY query. I have no electrician qualifications but I have electrical literacy, my original trades were heavy (HF) radio mechanic and electronics technician, acquired in the army a lifetime ago. So hopefully I'll understand your answers, eventually :)

I am in the process of building a camper based on a year 2000 4WD diesel Toyota Hiace. It was originally a minibus so for passenger comfort has a separate aircon and heater in the rear. The controls for the aircon/heater are in the back. We think these are worth keeping as may be useful for heating/cooling when we chose not to use other methods (maybe to save battery power). The heater reaches a good temperature quite quickly once the engine is running, especially if the idle increase is flicked on.

Anyway, to my question:
I'd like to extend the ignition switching into the back of the van so when we are in the back we can press a button (or buttons) and start the engine, run the heating/aircon for a while, then stop the engine. There will be a wall behind the driver & passenger seats separating cab from living area so we can't step/reach through to start the engine. I'm not keen to go to the trouble of installing an after-market wireless remote start, but I assume it should be possible to pick off the appropriate wires from the ignition barrel loom or somewhere and run extension through to the rear of the van.
Is anyone able to help me with how to do this?

Thanks in advance folks.
Cheers, B

TL;DR
How to extend the engine ignition into the rear of the van (camper) so we can start the engine, run the aircon/heating, and stop the engine, without having to get from living area to cab.
I'm fairly sure the motoring laws would not allow this as it is illegal to leave an unattended vehicle with the engine running and your insurance may exclude doing it as well, vehicles that do run the engine for power take off or for using warning beacons have runlocks fitted so that the unattended vehicle controls if operated will shut the engine down

You may also need to think about the exhaust fumes - without the forward motion of the vehicle, it could be possible that they enter through any air vents to the passenger compartment.

I used to drive a vehicle that contained a diesel generator for use when the vehicle was stationary. It was fitted with a high level exhaust that exited above the roofline.

Last edited:

Reply to Extending engine ignition into the rear of the van. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net