Discuss Extractor fan to timer type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi mate. The fan will require a 'permanent live' as well as a 'switch live'. Both will need isolation, as well as the 'neutral'.
Have a look at the manual for the fan you are thinking of getting. This should tell you how to wired it.
What fan are you thinking of getting?
An Envirovent SilentT 100.

Now thinking I could run wires from lightbulb (which run direct to CU (in WC) via switch) and a permanent live from lightning circuit in attic to an isolator switch located in ceiling, adjacent to fan.

As @Tony Reidy asked above, "Why do you need to channel into the wall if all the wiring is in the flat roof "??

why not just leave the light on for 20 minutes? otherwise it's not essential as in a bathroom extracting steam, only fart gas. leave for the benefit of next user. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Single wire runs to switch in WC then up wall into flat roof void, then out at light socket. Linked from there to existing (non-timer) fan.

So there is a switch live wire going to the switch from the light?
There should be a 'permanent live', 'switch live' & 'neutral' at the light then. Can you not tap of these?
Does your CU have an RCD?

This seems to be following a familiar pattern.
DIYer asks for advice
Forum says no don't do that it would be wrong and possibly dangerous
DIYer says no it won't

From here it usually goes one of two ways. DIYer sees sense and employs the services of an electrician to protect their own safety and that of their family and property.
Or the forum end up being tarred as elitist scum whose trade is a doddle and we are only withholding information as we are rip off merchants.

I'm on the edge of my seat.

DIYer asks for advice
DIYer says no it won't

From here it usually goes one of two ways. DIYer sees sense and employs the services of an electrician to protect their own safety and that of their family and property.
Or the forum end up being tarred as elitist scum whose trade is a doddle and we are only withholding information as we are rip off merchants.

well, it's only 2 wires 3 wires, 4 wires. oh bugger, it's on fire.

So there is a switch live wire going to the switch from the light?
There should be a 'permanent live', 'switch live' & 'neutral' at the light then. Can you not tap of these?
Does your CU have an RCD?
Yes, CU is split rcd, with single 2.5mm T&E cable running (embedded) to wall switch (1m away) then (embedded) to roof void. If this was a 3 core wire instead of T&E I wouldn’t be posting on here ie I wouldn’t have a problem!

So I have Switch L and N. I’ll connect these to a fan isolator switch fixed into ceiling. Then run permanent live from lighting junction box in attic to same switch. That way, single switch will isolate for servicing, complying with regs.

DIYer asks for advice
DIYer says no it won't

Naval gaze all you want. Some of us have got work to do.

Yes, CU is split rcd, with single 2.5mm T&E cable running (embedded) to wall switch (1m away) then (embedded) to roof void. If this was a 3 core wire instead of T&E I wouldn’t be posting on here ie I wouldn’t have a problem!

So I have Switch L and N. I’ll connect these to a fan isolator switch fixed into ceiling. Then run permanent live from lighting junction box in attic to same switch. That way, single switch will isolate for servicing, complying with regs.
Forgot to say, cable connected to 6amp circuit breaker in CU.

Oh. I get it now mate.

But then you will have a fan circuit fed from two different breakers.

Oh. I get it now mate.

But then you will have a fan circuit fed from two different breakers.
Hallelujah! The lighting junction box in atTic is on a circuit that’s connected to same breaker in CU! So I won’t be linking different circuits!

If this now complies with all regs, then saves me a hell of a lot of hassle and mess of ripping into walls.

Reply to Extractor fan to timer type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net