Discuss Extractor wiring help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rjm84

Hi , just a question regarding wiring for extractor, I've had house rewired but extractor was not connected and spark doesn't seem to be coming back, the extractor wiring seems to be in place , there is white 3 core flex running from extractor in bathroom to 3pole fan extractor isolator on landing , and from extractor isolator switch to loft with about 1m excess just left not wired
the nearest junction box has 4 cables in it so is already full, can I cut a junction box into the live feeding that junction box, and put another junction box before it and wire the extractor into it?
the other thing is , the lighting cable is 1.5mm twin and earth but the flex is 1mm, would the downsize of cable matter ? Or would I need to put a junction box into the live with 1.5 mm coming off it into a un switched fused unit and then wire the extractor into that, also the fused unit will come as 13a, would I need to change the fuse to 5a or 3a or leave as 13 a ?
Many swift replies would be greatly appreciated as I need to board the loft asap but need to finalise this connection so any help would be greatly appreciated

advise you get another electrician to fix this for you. it's notifiable work. some members in your area might be able to respond.

It may do, but I would rather just know the answer if you could take it upon yourself to kindly tell me, I would be grateful , I'm not paying out again, nor do I really have time to wait , I've a few days of my own jobs to do , and I'll be back on site at some point next week where some of the Sparks from our firm will tell me , so one way or another ill be doing it , but as matter of urgency , I could really do with knowing this weekend so I can board the loft get all the clutter out spare room so can be used as nursey and get my wife of my back so I can enjoy my weekend

sympathise with you, but with the info you've given, on a forum it's guesswork. for starters, makers instructions will tell you if you need to fuse to 3A. and what, if any RCD protection is there to the bathroom circuits?. is supplementary bonding required after testing? too many variables with what is a potential life threatening scenario.

There's no instruction , none that were left, I just know it came from selco , and it would be coming off the upstairs lighting circuit which is rcd protected at consumer unit,

tj to the bloke was a div , I had a few arguments with him , he would do a bit then dissapear to another job and he missed a few things out, I asked for a spur on a fused connection unit for my boiler which I had to put in myself when I fitted boiler , I had to put boiler on plug to an extension lead for 2 days and had to put spur in as was sick if wsiting
he also put oven on its own supply but in 2.5 mm cable , and then just plugged oven in , to which I had to change to 6mm to switch plate then wire oven in , I think extractir is only thing left that's un done , but pretty safe to say he's not coming back

what was wrong with the oven on 2.5mm ( with a 20A MCB, perhaps). is it that big an appliance that it needs 6mm?

Nothing , in practice as long as I believe oven is not over 2kw ? but the fact of the matter was I asked for 6mm , and was charged for supplying and fitting 6mm in the quote and it wasn't whst I recieved, but I would rather the 6mm in place as we didn't know what size oven we was putting in ,

fairy snuff.

Reply to Extractor wiring help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net