Discuss False ceiling question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Quick question/advice from someone who is knowledgeable with these?

i have a customer with 1200x600 panel'd false ceiling (standard office type)

He wants me to fit some 600X600 led panels. (1200x600 will be a bit over the top)

Is this just a case of fitting one of the brackets half way to give two 600X600 holes?

Are all brackets interchangable with different brands?

Thanks for any help with these, as i dont often come accross 1200x600, as most are 600x600.

Cheers.

I would think not,led panels usually fit straight onto 600x600,much more practical than other measurements.B Be interesting to know otherwise.Thinking you could get the trims to make the tile 600x 600, or get fitters to suit.

You can s get 1200 x 600 LED fitting. I can't see a problem fitting the extra ceiling bars , Just might not look very good from a cosmetic point of view. I would check first before quoteing

you'd need to get some ceiling grid (600mm bridging strips )and bodge them in, but be careful not to cut into the long strips or you'll need to fit additional support wires.

Also be wary of the weight loading per square meter of ceiling. In some circumstances you will need to support the fittings independently of the ceiling grid.

you'd need to get some ceiling grid (600mm bridging strips )and bodge them in, but be careful not to cut into the long strips or you'll need to fit additional support wires.

Main runner's, tel.
Definitely don't cut into them under any circumstances as you'll weaken the grid. They are designed to partially collapse, at a manufactured weak point, in the event of fire or damage.

Depending on the ceiling size (and age and condition), you may have to remove some tiles and grid to allow for fitting a new 600mm cross T piece. May have to get the same make, too, there used to be quite a few differences in the jointing methods.

Last edited:
Yes, all you need to do is fit an extra T bar halfway down and fit a 600x600 tile, or cut a 1200x600 in half.

Chances are a 600x600 LED panel will weigh less than the 1200x600 fluorescent you're replacing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Main runner's, tel.
Definitely don't cut into them under any circumstances as you'll weaken the grid. They are designed to partially collapse, at a manufactured weak point, in the event of fire or damage.

Depending on the ceiling size (and age and condition), you may have to remove some tiles and grid to allow for fitting a new 600mm cross T piece. May have to get the same make, too, there used to be quite a few differences in the jointing methods.
that's why when i had a similar job, i got the ceiling monkeys in to mod. the grid. when half of it fell down, it wasn'tme that had to pick up the tab. :mickey:

that's why when i had a similar job, i got the ceiling monkeys in to mod. the grid. when half of it fell down, it wasn'tme that had to pick up the tab. :mickey:

Nice one.
I used to put 'em up with lighting systems, using a water level tube and string before lasers came out...'till the building trade got wise and made it into a bit of a ''trade'' and priced me out of it.

Reply to False ceiling question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net