Discuss fcu by kitchen sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dal_87

hi would like some info regarding fitting fcu near kitchen sink. now i know as good practice it should be min 300mm away from edge of sink horizontally , but in a job iam doin tomorrow i require to go vertical. does this still stand ? iam installing a hot water urn in a staff kitchen in a college, the kitchen is small and the supply will have to be above the sink area ...can i (A) just install fcu above with min 300mm or (B) look to install fcu near ceiling and drop down in a flex outlet plate .. all will be surface mounted .. looking for some guidance thanks in advance

thanks for the reply makes sense just did not want to do something incorrect .... so maybe i just install fcu above sink at a decent height where it will not get splashed

As Murdoch states in post 5 bs7671 doesn't state a min distance from a sink. Although guidance documents such as Ekectricians guide to the building regs suggest 300mm. At the end of the day that is only guidance and you need to be pragmatic using your professional judgement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly BS7671 does not quote any distances.

Another glaring issue with our regs!

The regs make clear that all equipment must be suitable for the location and any environmental influences likely to be encountered in that location. If it's not suitable then it shouldn't be installed. Common sense and the discretion of the designer and/or installer is all that is needed.

The regs make clear that all equipment must be suitable for the location and any environmental influences likely to be encountered in that location. If it's not suitable then it shouldn't be installed. Common sense and the discretion of the designer and/or installer is all that is needed.

Which so many people lack these days.....

Which so many people lack these days.....

True. If it wasn't for the odd few being so dumb we wouldn't need the constant dumbing down of the regulations and society in general.

I do feel that this is an area of the regs that does not need specific guidance as the general rules cover the installation of equipment, it's use, and it's environment adequately.

Stick it on an rcd and use an ip rated FCU then everyone will be happy. On another note; doesn't anyone called them switched fused spurs anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to fcu by kitchen sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net