Discuss Few everyday questions and niggles in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all.

Few questions here.

1. What do you find the best way to either protect your back boxes from filling with plaster or to clear the plaster out when doing a second fix to give the best edge.

2, Do you weigh your cable in after a rewire or just scrap it. In addition do you charge extra to remove all the debris made when chasing walls.

3, Skirtings on or skirtings off when chasing in then going into the floor?

4, Do you use the same suppliers on each job for materials and second fix fittings such as pvc sockets, switches extractor fans etc.

5, Iv heard some sparks run a separate cooker supply in 2.5mm for a 13amp cooker just to be on the safe side in the kitchen not to overload the kitchen ring?

Simple questions just things that I haven’t got a handle on yet.

1. Ask the plasterer nicely and get the chisel out if he doesn't.

2. I can be bothered with the hassle of storing/weighing in unless it is a large amount of big cable.

3. Usually skirtings on, sometimes you can drill behind and break out beneath floors so less making good :)

4. N/A someone else sources materials for me

5. It is common practice to run in 6mm twin and earth for 32A cooker supply. Oven load is normally <2.5KW but hob is often much higher and these are often integrated into the same appliance and/or connected to the same supply.

Any fixed loads over 2KW should be on their own dedicated circuit.

1. Ask the plasterer nicely and get the chisel out if he doesn't.

2. I can be bothered with the hassle of storing/weighing in unless it is a large amount of big cable.

3. Usually skirtings on, sometimes you can drill behind and break out beneath floors so less making good :)

4. N/A someone else sources materials for me

5. It is common practice to run in 6mm twin and earth for 32A cooker supply. Oven load is normally <2.5KW but hob is often much higher and these are often integrated into the same appliance and/or connected to the same supply.

Any fixed loads over 2KW should be on their own dedicated circuit.
I believe it's only a recommendation that loads over 2 KW should be on a dedicated circuit, unless you can quote a regulation, regarding your last statement. Hence the disagree.

2. Waste carrying...

If you take anything away from site that you take there (this includes your sandwich wrapper, packaging from parts, opened multipacks, part used reels of cable) could see you fined for carrying waste without a licence. At the very minimum you need the free waste carrying licence which allows you to take away things you take to site and their associated packaging.

If you plan on taking other stuff away from site (old cables, old accessories, rubble etc.), you need a full waste carriers licence.

So, any rubble/waste is made the customers responsibility in my terms and conditions.

Rubble etc. that you do not want, and intend to dispose of, is waste. However it is my understanding that if something has a value to you and you intend to keep it, whatever its nature it is not automatically waste by definition. Therefore, part-used reels of cable which have commercial value are not waste, even if they are not going to be used on that site again. Nor are removed fittings that might be re-used in your garden shed, dismantled for study purposes, or even sent to a museum (!).

I was once stopped by VOSA at a goods vehicle checkpoint, driving a 7.5 tonner full of stripped out vintage cable, fittings, etc. They were quite happy with my explanation that it was potentially historic material being taken to a museum and was not scrap, and asked no further questions.

I'm with @SparkyChick re the waste. Twas her that made me get the lower tier licence. Any waste created on a job, goes in the skip, or left with the home owner. So package can go back to the wholesaler, for disposal

Re scrap cable; I do believe the old cable from a property, is waste. My off cuts of new cable is not. However, they all mysteriously massed themselves at my house, and somehow ending up at my local scrap dealer who gave me a lovely cheque in return.

Thought experiment: I'm at a job. I pull out a load of cable, some of which might have historic value and be donated to the museum for display. I can choose to do that, because within my job contract I have purchased it from my customer. Whether they want it or not no longer matters, because I bought it (note, they did not pay me to dispose of it.) I don't have time to sort and inspect it on site, so I take it all back to the workshop. At that point, the bundle has value to me other than scrap value because of the historic items contained within, and I would pay in excess of scrap value for it (maybe by 1p). Is it waste?

@Lucien Nunes , I think that depends on (a) whether you get caught and (b) if you do, the view point of the person who caught you.

I have extracted various items that would be considered waste... for educational purposes... things like long disconnected lead pipes used for gas, sections of old rubber cables, old items of gear (such as that Octopus box), because as time goes on, the younger generation have less chance of ever having encountered such things, but it is possible they may still.

I'm just overly cautious about it as I've heard (through reliable sources) of sparks in South Wales being screwed over for taking tubes to be recycled, having their sandwich wrapper in the van and other such ridiculous nonsense.

And they wonder why there is a huge problem locally in the lanes near the coast between Newport and Cardiff with fly tipping.

I was once stopped by VOSA at a goods vehicle checkpoint, driving a 7.5 tonner full of stripped out vintage cable, fittings, etc. They were quite happy with my explanation that it was potentially historic material being taken to a museum and was not scrap, and asked no further questions.

I think the VOSA operatives probably have a few more grey cells than the council jobs worth's I've heard about.

For example, councils sending them out in their own cars to park up outside a wholesaler and wait for sparks going in with tubes for recycling and then nabbing them when they come out empty handed.

It is a strange situation and we have a waste carriers license. It my van I have two boxes one with new 8w tubes which I can carry the other, duff 8w tubes for which we require the license .

If someone tried to 'nab' me for carrying around an old sandwich bag, I'd probably suffocate the **** with it.

Seriously with all the problems we have in this country/the world what is the problem with trades transporting a bag of rubble etc to the nearest skip they have legal access and permission to use.

Is a short length of 10mm 3core SWA classed as waste if it's in my van ready to clout some jobsworth with if they ever approach me and ask me if I have a waste carriers license?

It is a strange situation and we have a waste carriers license. It my van I have two boxes one with new 8w tubes which I can carry the other, duff 8w tubes for which we require the license .

I suppose, its all about the items being safely disposed of. The new ones are being installed. Whereas the old ones are going to be disposed of, correctly & safely.

Trouble is not everyone recycles correctly, so then it gets policed. Like always, its mostly the law-abiding honest folk, that seem to get targeted. IMO.

Plaster on back boxes I tap around the edge gently with a hammer and use my electricians knife to clean the edges.

Waste, usually I work commercially and provision has been made for disposal. For domestic I offer waste removal which is not cheap or they can go to the tip themselves usually they decide it is best to do it themselves.
Cable I scrap as in dispose of. I collected two bins full of it and got to the scrappers and was offered a sum that made me bin it instead and realised that the time it took to store and deliver to the scrapyard I could have earned more binning it and working with that time, never again!

Skirting on drill behind every time.

I run cooker off of ring at 13a.

Mixture of suppliers. Denmans are domestic really and CEF forget about them, Edmundsons or Walsall for more commercial. Usually I play them off against each other to get the best quote but then on line is often cheaper so any which way that works but a good mix in there.

I believe it's only a recommendation that loads over 2 KW should be on a dedicated circuit, unless you can quote a regulation, regarding your last statement. Hence the disagree.

Appendix 15 so you could argue its not a regulation. It is certainly a guide of best practice though, so I can't see why someone would not follow it unless beyond reasonably possible.

Of course there are those niche situations where running in a dedicated circuit when doing a kitchen rewire or other just isn't happening. Sticking it on the RFC would never be my first choice though.

If I see a cooker or hob on a RFC on an EICR I C3 it, it doesn't need to be changed but it would be an improvement if it was given its own dedicated circuit.

Reply to Few everyday questions and niggles in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock