Discuss Figuring out if I can put in a sub panel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RedTex

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have an old house with a detached garage. I’m interesting in setting up a wood working shop back there, so that means 220/230/240v machines (ideally).

The previous owner built the garage about 15 years ago, and had electrical installed. It looks like they tied all the 110v outlets and lights onto the same circuit, then buried conduit in the back yard and up into the main panel outside on the side of the house. It looks like a patchwork of work, and the panel looks filled up as well.

I’m trying to figure out if I can have a sub panel in the garage so I can run those 220v machines. How do I figure that out?

If I can setup a sub panel, I don’t know if I have the confidence to do the electrical wiring myself. However I would like to complete as much as possible to avoid a large electricians bill. I’ll be spending my tool budget on this, so I want to plan accordingly. I was thinking putting in the panel, trench, lay conduit, make sure all parts are ready to go.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have an old house with a detached garage. I’m interesting in setting up a wood working shop back there, so that means 220/230/240v machines (ideally).

The previous owner built the garage about 15 years ago, and had electrical installed. It looks like they tied all the 110v outlets and lights onto the same circuit, then buried conduit in the back yard and up into the main panel outside on the side of the house. It looks like a patchwork of work, and the panel looks filled up as well.

I’m trying to figure out if I can have a sub panel in the garage so I can run those 220v machines. How do I figure that out?

If I can setup a sub panel, I don’t know if I have the confidence to do the electrical wiring myself. However I would like to complete as much as possible to avoid a large electricians bill. I’ll be spending my tool budget on this, so I want to plan accordingly. I was thinking putting in the panel, trench, lay conduit, make sure all parts are ready to go.

Employ an Electrician Tex, you can ask his advice as to where and how deep the trench needs to be, that alone should save you some Bucks, good luck

We need pictures of your old panel

Do you know what size breaker that’s feeding the garage?

Reply to Figuring out if I can put in a sub panel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock