• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Figuring out if I can put in a sub panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have an old house with a detached garage. I’m interesting in setting up a wood working shop back there, so that means 220/230/240v machines (ideally).

The previous owner built the garage about 15 years ago, and had electrical installed. It looks like they tied all the 110v outlets and lights onto the same circuit, then buried conduit in the back yard and up into the main panel outside on the side of the house. It looks like a patchwork of work, and the panel looks filled up as well.

I’m trying to figure out if I can have a sub panel in the garage so I can run those 220v machines. How do I figure that out?

If I can setup a sub panel, I don’t know if I have the confidence to do the electrical wiring myself. However I would like to complete as much as possible to avoid a large electricians bill. I’ll be spending my tool budget on this, so I want to plan accordingly. I was thinking putting in the panel, trench, lay conduit, make sure all parts are ready to go.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have an old house with a detached garage. I’m interesting in setting up a wood working shop back there, so that means 220/230/240v machines (ideally).

The previous owner built the garage about 15 years ago, and had electrical installed. It looks like they tied all the 110v outlets and lights onto the same circuit, then buried conduit in the back yard and up into the main panel outside on the side of the house. It looks like a patchwork of work, and the panel looks filled up as well.

I’m trying to figure out if I can have a sub panel in the garage so I can run those 220v machines. How do I figure that out?

If I can setup a sub panel, I don’t know if I have the confidence to do the electrical wiring myself. However I would like to complete as much as possible to avoid a large electricians bill. I’ll be spending my tool budget on this, so I want to plan accordingly. I was thinking putting in the panel, trench, lay conduit, make sure all parts are ready to go.

Employ an Electrician Tex, you can ask his advice as to where and how deep the trench needs to be, that alone should save you some Bucks, good luck

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win

We need pictures of your old panel

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win

Do you know what size breaker that’s feeding the garage?

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Not sure where the OP has gone Megawatt.

Reply to Figuring out if I can put in a sub panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom