Discuss fire alarm landlords areas in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welchyboy

What is the usual grade system as per 5839 for a landlord area only for flats, I have seen grade a and d systems used??
I have actually ordered the new regs but need to get a rough cost back to the client asap, the risk assessment just says 'fire detectors required'
another contractor....Nic. DI... has quoted to install a wireless 230v grade d ld3??
But doubt this is sufficient and was planning to quote for an Grade A LD3

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Would need a bit more info really mate.

Could any of the area's of this building be classed as an HMO, or are they literally just self contained flats that share a communal stairwell??

Also, how many storeys high is the building???

The fire officer in Pembrokeshire wants the following:
Independent Fire alarm in each flat (basic connected to mains)
1 common system in the communal areas with sounders in all flats and sensors in hall ways and electric/gas cupboards (if enclosed)

Talk to your local fire officer, your council has the contacts for them

its a 2 or 3 storey block with around 6/9 self contained privately owned flats, the landlords area is seperate not an HMO

i know the blocks, but have not done a survey yet to get the exact no. of storey but they are only small, im sure 2, but def no more than 3

i have done ones like these before when sub contracting that were grade A LD3 with the flats as a seperate area, with domestic alarms

but have also seen a few grade D LD3, installed too recently,

why cant the Friggin risk assessment company just state what they want.....'grade --- system installed please!' etc etc, thats what they are paid to do innit?

i want to be sure as the cost will obviously be more, will it be best to talk to their insurance for requirements?

I didnt think that the fire officers really got involved anymore?

Ask the fire inspector - I promise you that if you install something and the fire inspector checks the building which they tend to do they will either say nice system or get it changed - which the owner will not be happy with!
They are very keen on 1 system in the communal area to protect the fire escape.

The Fire inspector will inspect the property or if done already and tell you what they want.
Forget the LABC and Public Protection as they always pass the buck and say speak to the Fire Officer

Just seen your last comment - I didnt think that the fire officers really got involved anymore? - just ask them - they are the ones you have to please!

isnt that the job of the desinger/installer

Well i would like to think so, but if at the whim of the fire officer, the designer could be made to re-install a different system, then its clearly not

i will have to speak to the client and get the fire officer involved i think to see what he wants

thanks

Reply to fire alarm landlords areas in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net