Discuss fire hoods or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sima24

Jist had a disagreement with local wholesalers, wanted to order 100 halogen mains downlights & hoods. He said dont need hoods, he hasnt sold them in years as fire rated downlights dont need them. As far as iv always know the "fire rated" light mean they keep the integrity of the pasterboard and have nothing to do with needing hoods or not. Am i right or did i look stupid???

you only need hoods to keep fibreglass away from the fitting.

You looked stupid ..... fire hoods were introduced as a retro fit for open back or similar non fire rated recess fittings whether they are the gu10 style or the old banned modular 600/600(1200) style open back flourescent recess, fire rated fitting now maintain the integrity as required by the building regs of the material you fit the unit into.
Fire rated fittings now are cheap enough to give no justification of fitting open back fittings but with large amounts of old non fire rated stock on shelf the wholesalers still try sell them as a cheap option

Last edited:
Fire rated downlights merely maintain the fire rating of the surface they have been installed into. If you are intending to cover them with any form of insulation, then you will either need to use downlights that are suitable for being covered, such as these...

Aurora Insulation Coverable Downlight Fixed

or use suitable hoods as Tel has suggested.

Thanks, so i wasnt totally wrong, as with all the regs on insulation 90% of downlights will be covered by insulation, and the heat they give off is extreme.

Reply to fire hoods or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net