Discuss Full rewire for NICEIC exam in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi

Im undertaking a full house rewire with a view to having an NICEIC assesment to get registered. Im not sure of a few things though.

1. Bathroom lights. If i have downlights should the ceiling rose junction box be accesible or should all the wires be connected with the neutrals in the light switch outside or in the pull switch? What is it called when the neutrals are connected within the switch and when is it appropriate to do this?
Above the bathroom is an accesable roof space.

2. Ring main wires buried in plaster. Acceptable?

3. Downlights in front room. They are connected under the floorboards above. Would it have been apropriate to have the neutrals in the light switch as junction boxes aren't accessable?

4. Pir censor in hallway and landing. My bright idea this on. Hall and landing are operated from pir switch with their own circuit connected to house smoke detectors and not on an rcd. Should they have a manual switch as well. Also should the neutrals meet in the switch or should i connect it from the rose?

Any other tips for the assesment would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

You have to be pooping me.. Even with the basic questions and clearly lack of experiance.. I bet you £100 they accept you..

you can loop in at switches or at lights. whichever avoids too many cables in a fitting. there's no hard and fast rule. do whatever seems the most logical.
indeed....there seems to be this `thing` goin round about `well, you cant joint neutrals at switches`.....and its a load of old b0ll0cks...
as has been said here already as long as the joints are accessable...and are in enclosures...then its fine
now, the last time i looked a light switchfront formed an enclosure and is also accessible....

Just as well no NIC assessors read this forum cos if they did and came across those questions all they would need to do is wait to see if they got an initial assessment with non rcd protected PIR hallway lights and they could have a field day. They don`t read this............do they?

Yes they do believe it or not :)

Thanks for all the replies and in particular clearing up the neutrals in switch boxes question. There are obviously things i need to know but if I can pass the assesment then I assume Im fit to carry out electrical work?

I thought a competent person was defined under BS7671. A person who has the neccesary skills to competantly carry out the work required to the bs7671 standard. I did a course with an electrical training company and was issued a card designating me as competant. I had to pass the city and guilds 17th edition regs test and carry out basic procedures to get it. The body yhat awarded it wss logic if that means anything?

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies and in particular clearing up the neutrals in switch boxes question. There are obviously things i need to know but if I can pass the assesment then I assume Im fit to carry out electrical work?

I thought a competent person was defined under BS7671. A person who has the neccesary skills to competantly carry out the work required to the bs7671 standard. I did a course with an electrical training company and was issued a card designating me as competant. I had to pass the city and guilds 17th edition regs test and carry out basic procedures to get it. The body yhat awarded it wss logic if that means anything?

Cheers
hmm..well...
all depends doesn`t it.
ask any `part p qualified` kitchen/bathroom fitter......lol...

Reply to Full rewire for NICEIC exam in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net