Discuss Fused Spur 190v between Earth and Neutral ?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mondo101

DIY
Reaction score
Hiya Guys, I have a gas central heating boiler that is not switching on at all.
It's connected to a clock timer and then to a fused spur.
Boiler technician was out today to say the boiler is fine and I need an electrician, hence this post !
He said we have cross polarity on the fused spur. He said we are getting 230v between earth and Neutral.

So I did some measurements myself on the Fused Spur.

With the fused spur in the on position I am getting 220v between earth and Live , all good, But I am getting 190v between earth and Neutral ?This isn't right ?
Please see pics for more info.

Can these Fused spurs go faulty ?
I check all the wiring and there are no bad contacts or lose cables at the Spur or timer.

Any help greatly appreciated.
R

Attachments

• IMG_1930 (1).jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 36
Probably a failed N

if you have a voltage between N in and N out when it is switched on, that is where the fault is (the spur switch)
if not then an electricIan is your best next step.

Reactions: DPG
What’s the brown stuff?

If that’s a liquid that’s been spilled, it’s got into the box, possibly into the switch itself.

TURN THE POWER OFF AT THE FUSEBOX, then try temporarily connecting both blue wires into the same terminal on the FCU. Doesn't matter if it Nin or Nout.
Switch power back on, and see if the boiler works with FCU on. If it does, you need a new FCU.

Hi all and thanks for the replies...
I changed the Fuse spur , still the same issue. So I declared war and had a rethink.
I then traced the cable that feeds the fuse spur to a wall 3 pronged power socket.
The socket has been empty for a few days (around the same time the heating stopped working.)
So I plugged a TV into said socket ............and the heating came on !!!!
I then switch everything off at the fuse box and opened the power socket .....LOSE NEUTRAL !!
Issue sorted now, That power socket has not been touched in years but it also has always had an appliance connected to it. So maybe we have had a lose neutral for a long time but the issue was masked because socket always had an appliance connected, else removing everything from the socket caused Neutral to come lose.
The live wire wasn't perfect either.
All tightened up now and the heating is now working !
Thanks again.
R

Hi all and thanks for the replies...
I changed the Fuse spur , still the same issue. So I declared war and had a rethink.
I then traced the cable that feeds the fuse spur to a wall 3 pronged power socket.
The socket has been empty for a few days (around the same time the heating stopped working.)
So I plugged a TV into said socket ............and the heating came on !!!!
I then switch everything off at the fuse box and opened the power socket .....LOSE NEUTRAL !!
Issue sorted now, That power socket has not been touched in years but it also has always had an appliance connected to it. So maybe we have had a lose neutral for a long time but the issue was masked because socket always had an appliance connected, else removing everything from the socket caused Neutral to come lose.
The live wire wasn't perfect either.
All tightened up now and the heating is now working !
Thanks again.
R

Indeed. Not only have you fixed your original problem, but solved a latent issue as well. Nice.

Reply to Fused Spur 190v between Earth and Neutral ?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net