Discuss Getting stuck on lighting design for kitchen in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Have been given (months ago) a job to redo lighting in a kitchen. There is practically no ambient light because an extension left just one small window of direct light. Current lighting is GU10 track lights, which keep blowing. I want to fit LED downlights but am absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of choice with LEDS. I have no problem doing the installation work - it is just the lighting design side that I am getting stuck on. I keep putting the job off because I can't work out a suitable selection of lights.

I have thus far got it down to firerated downlights, cool white 7W, 8w or 9W LEDs. There is a central island unit and I want to fit a larger commercial type downlight as this is the main task area. Other task areas are the sink, which is in a corner, and two seating areas to one side. I know this person quite well and do not want to cock up the design. Cost is not necessarily a major issue, but when I went to look at a larger commercial-type downlight for the island unit, it was coming out at about £500 for the one light! Any practical suggestions on coming up with a reasonable design would be appreciated.

Particularly would appreciate hearing about installs of larger commercial LED lights in domestic situation - kitchen has bedroom above so not much space for light fitting.

Thanks for that Paul, but I'm not sure they'll go for the central 'box' on that particular one. Have not come across G53s before so will look into them some more. However, I think the customer will want all LEDs for the 'green' aspect.

Reply to Getting stuck on lighting design for kitchen in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net