Discuss Going it alone.. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Valleyelectical

Good evening all,
firstly would like to welcome myself, chris, new here tonight in need of some advise...
im a qualified electrician nvq3 and have am2 aswel, i am subcontracting to a company at the moment but would like to start doing my own work and building my own little business up. Iv been working as an electrician for roughly 9 years so have experience, although i must be honest im not the most experienced when it comes to testing, but can do it.
what path does anyone recommend? Iv been told so many different things i have got confused! One says you have to join governing body, one says you dont and that you can certify yourself.
One thing that does confuse me.. If you join nic/elecsa etc and they assess you, they want to see previous jobs. How can you do these as they need signing off?!
Sorry for the essay and i hope someone can point me in the right direction.
thankyou for your time.
chris.

Good evening all,
firstly would like to welcome myself, chris, new here tonight in need of some advise...
im a qualified electrician nvq3 and have am2 aswel, i am subcontracting to a company at the moment but would like to start doing my own work and building my own little business up. Iv been working as an electrician for roughly 9 years so have experience, although i must be honest im not the most experienced when it comes to testing, but can do it.
what path does anyone recommend? Iv been told so many different things i have got confused! One says you have to join governing body, one says you dont and that you can certify yourself.
One thing that does confuse me.. If you join nic/elecsa etc and they assess you, they want to see previous jobs. How can you do these as they need signing off?!
Sorry for the essay and i hope someone can point me in the right direction.
thankyou for your time.
chris.

Hello Chris Welcome aboard....:smile5:

You might have some luck talking to your local electrical inspector, he should know what is required. Good luck.:smile5:

Welcome to the forum.
I would say practice on the testing, you need to be able to do this straight off and practicing will make things easier and ensure you do not miss things.
Get familiar with your tester.

Self certification of jobs that are notifiable to building control, (new circuits, new CUs, alterations in saunas, swimming pools and bathroom zones) is only possible by joining a self certification scheme, otherwise you would have to notify in advance through building control at a high cost.

Preparation of installation certificates for your own work, based on your inspection and testing results, can be done by any competent person. (skilled person (electrically)).

For joining a self certification scheme it is often accepted that you have done the work, then been assessed (and passed) and will then notify the work through the scheme, not strictly correct but otherwise as you say catch 22 and very expensive for you.

Remember that installation certificates are an entirely separate and unconnected thing compared to building control notification.
The first is a requirement of the wiring regulations the second is a requirement of the building regulations.

Register with HMRC as self employed (you can be both self employed and employed).

Good luck.

Hi Chris,Richard has summarised things very well in his post.
I also think that work carried out for a friend or family member or even in your own home is acceptable for assessment, although of course this should be completed close to the date of your assessment if you see what I mean and also make sure appropriate certification for the work done is to hand and get it right as this will be checked.
I went self employed just over 12 months ago after 34 years in the trade [including apprenticeship] and I wish I'd done it years ago. I went with Elecsa and their assessor was very good, he put me at ease quickly but also asked a lot of questions and made absolutely sure that I knew my stuff,including demonstrating testing,the best bit was being told that my workmanship was the best he'd seen for quite a while.
Also make sure you're very familiar with safe isolation procedures and have a working proving unit and a 'lock off' kit.

Reply to Going it alone.. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net